Is This English?

There are many dense regional dialects. In parts of Scotland:

blether - chat with friends
dreich - dull, grey (weather)
hoachin' - abundant
stramash - messy fight

Traditional Scots is almost a language in its own right.

And then there's Gaellic and Welsh, an entirely separate group of Celtic languages which also includes Irish gaellic.

PS: "Scotch" is not a real word. We drink whisky. A dram. A malt (ie a single malt). A nippy sweetie. The adjective for Scotlandy is "Scottish" and the Scottish people are "Scots". "Scotch" sounds like someone trying to pronounce "Scottish" after too many nippy sweeties. I guess we're stuck with "Scotch whisky industry" now though.
Dreich - common Scot's vernacular - meaning a drizzly, dark day in - typically, winter - interestingly the Dutch and Germans use the same word - albeit pronounced slightly differently.

Footer - to fanny about - to prevaricate.
Fanckle - something twisted or complex.
Skelp - to smack.
Am'urnae - I am not.
Did ye - aye, right? - looks like a positive comment but isn't.
Messages - groceries.
Dinger - used for a very angry person - he did his dinger.

Bye fur the noo. I

After perusing this article I felt like I had watched an entire episode of Star Trek..........................spoken in Klingon!!!! :oops: I understood maybe 10% to 15% of these wacky British phrases!! :ROFLMAO:

I have heard of most of these sayings and here in Australia quite a few of them are still used unceremoniously in everyday talk.

Dreich - common Scot's vernacular - meaning a drizzly, dark day in - typically, winter - interestingly the Dutch and Germans use the same word - albeit pronounced slightly differently.

Skelp - to smack.
Am'urnae - I am not.
Messages - groceries.

Bye fur the noo. I

This brings back some memories. Sadly, my Scottish accent and vocabulary is long gone. I do remember using "get oot the road" as a nipper, for "get out the way" and calling street drains, IIRC, "syvers" a word I have never heard since. I also do love the word "squishing"

This brings back some memories. Sadly, my Scottish accent and vocabulary is long gone. I do remember using "get oot the road" as a nipper, for "get out the way" and calling street drains, IIRC, "syvers" a word I have never heard since. I also do love the word "squishing"
Some more - without definitions this time. :) See how much comes back to you? In a lot of cases - Scot's vernacular words aren't that far from onomatopoeia - the answer might well suggest itself.

glaikit

snider

tumshy

skinny-ma'links

Ruby

the clennie

to be the talk of - the steamie

hairy

black affronted

stoashis

maroculous

Yours - aye - I.

Funny, I always thought you were Italian with that screen moniker. :unsure:

Skelp - to smack.
Am'urnae - I am not.
Messages - groceries.

Bye fur the noo. I
I spent some time working in an office in Glasgow and initially, i was able to translate about one word in three with some of the native folk who worked there.

I quickly learnt that "ets awee an gen sum fud" meant "shall we go for lunch, chaps ?" :D:D

Its made worse by the fact that many Glaswegians seem to talk quickly.

We once had a Colombian student on exchange stay with us who wanted to improve her English. I can't think of a worse place to come to learn English. With me being Scottish as well, she must have thought she got on the wrong plane!
I don't know, if you can live in Scotland and understand people I reckon you could understand English being spoken pretty much anywhere else.

Back
Top Bottom