Is this common or am I doing something wrong....

Every once in a while I seem to get a rogue blade that cuts me to ribbons and that just doesn't feel right - it almost feels as though it has a jagged edge - is this quite normal ? Should I expect the odd blade that feels like that ?

When I get a blade like this I change it out after the second shave normally and then things return to normal with its replacement.

The blades I use are Astra Superior Stainless...

Every once in a while I seem to get a rogue blade that cuts me to ribbons and that just doesn't feel right - it almost feels as though it has a jagged edge - is this quite normal ? Should I expect the odd blade that feels like that ?

When I get a blade like this I change it out after the second shave normally and then things return to normal with its replacement.

The blades I use are Astra Superior Stainless...
You shouldn’t expect that. Some blades take a first shave (or another) to settle in. Whilst it’s possible there may be a rogue one that slips through quality control, I wouldn’t expect it regularly.

I have heard others advocating hand-stropping of blades, or running them through a cork. Personally, I’ve never felt the need.

It’s a blade i’m not to keen on but i know others love them.
i guess we’re bound to get the odd rouge blade now & again especially from Russian & China

I tried about six different blades and ended up with these.

I've used them for about three years now and it's a minefield trying to find the correct blade

Never had a defective blade, and I've used gobs of Astra SS and SPs, maybe you're hitting the edge while loading the blade or something. Are you one of those whackjobs who remove the blade after every shave and dry it off? If so, don't do that.
Call me a ‘whackjob’, but if I don’t use the same razor consecutively, that’s exactly what I do. Remove it, pat it dry and back the wrapper for the next razor. No harm done whatsoever. Each to their own, though.

Astra, BIC and Treet are the only brands where I've ever experienced a 'duff' blade and even then I can count the total occurrences on one hand. In this instance I would question whether your stock has potentially deteriorated by being exposed to damp?

I would give these a try. Sharp like the Astra SS, but smoother and £8.41 for 100 UK stockist: https://bigdealsmart.com/collection...e-razor-shaving-blades?variant=39263009505327

Word of the day. I've not come across "whackjob" before, and was at first unsure if it was more akin to "nut job" or "hand job". I presume the former, as in bampot?
Never heard of "bampot".

Whack Job
There are a number of definitions to this phrase, two of the commonest being:
1) Someone whose behaviour does not conform to society’s norms. It can be applied to a broad range of people, from those who are slightly eccentric to others who have completely lost touch with reality and need psychiatric help. The phrase can even be qualified to show the degree to which the person is affected. If the person was only mildly eccentric, they would be described as 'a bit of a whack job', if the behaviour was rather more weird then they might be described as 'a proper whack job'. If the person was seriously insane then they would be 'a total, out-and-out, raving whack job'.
2) A professional killing, also known as a hit. The whack part comes from the victim being killed (whacked), the job from the fact that this is done for payment by a professional (it's his or her job).
1) If you’ve got problems with your car, see Georgie; he’s a bit of a whack job, but he can fix anything.
2) A bloke was found dead in the boat camber, looks like it was a whack job!

bampot n. a crazy person; a fool or dolt. Etymological Note: Most likely a form of barmpot. According to OED, barm, “the froth that forms on top of fermenting malt liquors; the head of a beer,” is used attributively as a formative to indicate a crazy or feeble-minded person or idea. This is, obviously, related to barmy or balmy ‘crazy.’

I think whackjob is slightly less offensive than bampot.

Never heard of "bampot".

Whack Job
There are a number of definitions to this phrase, two of the commonest being:
1) Someone whose behaviour does not conform to society’s norms. It can be applied to a broad range of people, from those who are slightly eccentric to others who have completely lost touch with reality and need psychiatric help. The phrase can even be qualified to show the degree to which the person is affected. If the person was only mildly eccentric, they would be described as 'a bit of a whack job', if the behaviour was rather more weird then they might be described as 'a proper whack job'. If the person was seriously insane then they would be 'a total, out-and-out, raving whack job'.
2) A professional killing, also known as a hit. The whack part comes from the victim being killed (whacked), the job from the fact that this is done for payment by a professional (it's his or her job).
1) If you’ve got problems with your car, see Georgie; he’s a bit of a whack job, but he can fix anything.
2) A bloke was found dead in the boat camber, looks like it was a whack job!

bampot n. a crazy person; a fool or dolt. Etymological Note: Most likely a form of barmpot. According to OED, barm, “the froth that forms on top of fermenting malt liquors; the head of a beer,” is used attributively as a formative to indicate a crazy or feeble-minded person or idea. This is, obviously, related to barmy or balmy ‘crazy.’

I think whackjob is slightly less offensive than bampot.

Bampot is a Scottish word for idiot, crazy, mad man, mental case lol or crackpot :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom