Is there a standard size of soap

So I fancy getting a shaving mug with soup holder on the top (a skuttle?) anyway, do all the companys use the same size for the soap or are they all different? Cheers, Ed

I seem to remember batting this about with Elaine (Briallen) quite a while ago, but I'm pretty sure that it was in one of those threads which veer off topic so it'll be difficult to find. Anyway, I was moaning that standard cakes don't fit in my preferred soap dishes, quite, so having just measured one my guess is that the usual size is 82mm Ø, or a cock hair under 3¼".

Re-reading your original post I suppose it's possible that "soup" isn't a typo after all, in which case the usual quantity (based on Aldi's bouillabaisse) is 400g.

If you mean this type
CYR-BOW-MUG.jpg
then the answer is a resounding "no" - no standard volume, diameter, depth or profile.

Oh well then. This is clearly a job for soft soap, or your local potter. I've got one of those mugs, not that it gets used for its intended purpose, but this one does:
SOTD290511_2.jpg

It's got a splat of Nanny's Yushu in it at the moment.

You'd think it would be a standard soap size for a standard skuttle size but I will have to go get a dedicated grater.wife was not.impresses when I told her!

Fido said:
If you produce a nice wooden bowl for your soap you want your customers to find it difficult to fit other brands into it!

There does seem to be a common, but not universal, size. C+E, Culmak and the soaps I've tried from the 3Ts fit into eachothers holders perfectly. Tabac is a bit deeper and Edwin Jagger soaps are much smaller in diameter.

monkeytennis said:
You'd think it would be a standard soap size for a standard skuttle size but I will have to go get a dedicated grater.wife was not.impresses when I told her!

I have used our everyday grater to grate soap. It's soap so it washes away really easily and there is no way it will damage a grater that can cope with hard cheese such as Parmesan. Can't see any problem there. Just don't tell her. Wait until she's gone to bed. That's when I perform all my covert activities. :blush: :s: :icon_razz:

Back
Top Bottom