Is the Chubby 2 Silvertip all that ?

Mike Smart

Supporter
Supporter
What's your thoughts on Badger Brushes ?
Is the Chubby 2 the best £200 brush out there or is there better without adding another £50 ?

I actually don't know what i'm asking lol
Basically is the Chubby 2 the best badger brush ?

AFAIK Simpsons do produce a two-band silvertip Chubby 2, but I think it's a lot more than £200. I used to have a Chubby 2 in Best and it was far from being my top brush, even though the bristles felt to be of very high quality. I found it too clumsy and it hogged lather. Consequently, I wouldn't consider a Chubby 2 with a supposedly higher grade of hair to be in the running to be best in its class. Others who appreciate the wall of badger feel might well come to a different conclusion.
As for badger brushes in general, I'm using synths more often now and would no longer splash out the sums I used to pay for some of the most highly rated models. And if for some reason I did want a badger brush, regardless of cost,I would probably opt for a Shavemac.

I've the Chubby 3 in best. It's a wonderful brush, superb face feel. However, in spite of taking care of it, it sheds 10 or more hairs per shave and I spend more time picking them from the soap. This makes using it unenjoyable , and I'm considering not using it. I'm now looking for a good synthetic.
My other badger of similar size and cost, is by SV, the great soap maker. It is similar shaver, But SHEDS ZERO HAIR. A really good brush and a worthy alternative to Simpson chubby range.

I've just bought a Yaqi Naples love it!!! First time I used tonight. Great feel straight from the get go. For the money, try one and you'll have enough for another shaving cream or soap whatever you prefer.

Attachments

• 41Hem57VsYL._AC_SY400_.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 5
I use the chubby 2 Manchurian and find it to be excellent any bigger would be too big for me personally, its definitely not a lather hog it gives up lather really easy it's like using a wall of badger it's dense so maybe uses a little more product that smaller knots but overall it's an excellent brush super soft not had any issues with it. Is it worth the money ? If you're after that extra bit of luxury and have the funds then why not but it's definitely not essential, there are other top brushes out there personally with your budget I might be tempted into a saponificio varesino 2.0 I think it's called, they do it in different handles it's an excellent quality brush really dense, the other I've had that was excellent was a Morris & Forndran but harder to acquire and more in the simpsons Manchurian price range

edit I have personally owned all three of these brushes I have given an opinion on

What's your thoughts on Badger Brushes ?
Is the Chubby 2 the best £200 brush out there or is there better without adding another £50 ?

I actually don't know what i'm asking lol
Basically is the Chubby 2 the best badger brush ?
If you wanted to spend that kind of money buy a Shavemac!
Just my personal opinion though! YMMV!

Paul.

Must admit the Chubby 2 handle did take a bit of getting used to not to end up with lather everywhere but never have that problem now just had to learn how not to be a messy buggar lol