Is it safe to use an old soap which has been used by someone else?

Give it a good wash in hot water to be on the safe side, you lose a tiny bit of soap but you remove that very top layer which might contain traces of the last user, or more probably, traces of his brush.
Lots of people here buy part used hard soaps from each other, I don't think anyone has died. Not yet anyway.

As long as its not internally, unless its Wilkinson Blue Bowl in which case its better to shove it up your ass and shave totally dry with a six month old Derby..

Helveticum said:
I'm sure Chris will tell ya, as soon as he finds this thread.. With plenty of scientific reasoning and case studies :D

I'm not a microbiologist, and, ironically, I'm a hypochondriac, so I'd probably have cut the outer layer of soap off before using. As far as I know, some bacteria and viruses are able to withstand less-than ideal conditions for varying amounts of time by becoming dormant.

You would think as a doctor I could give you an answer about this but I'm not 100% sure. I've used soaps which were used by someone else but I knew the person and the age of the soap.

Personally I would have done the same as Chris if not just got rid. Some viruses and bectria live quite well in the odest of places where you would think they would died.

Back
Top Bottom