Is it me ?

I don't use any kind of AS, so the scent of the soap is the whole experience for me. I buy and use soaps entirely on the quality of the scent, so not surprisingly I have a lot of artisan soaps.

I really wish I could use artisan soaps with great scents, but all the ones I have tried as superb as the lathers they produced and as great as the scents were (the ones I tried were Nanny's Neroli, OSP Sandalwood, LPL Cedar, Wickhams Classic 24) they all made my face burn! I think even the slightest suggestion of some kind of fragrance oil seems to make my face burn. Well it's just not artisan soaps but a few other mass produced soaps as well (Boots stick the worst, Nivea Sensitive Cream and some others).

I imagine if it wasn't for the allergies I might have been a bit more enthusiastic for soaps with great scents.

IMHO the smell of a soap is entirely secondary to the physical quality of the shave.
A great example is the Arko stick. The quality of the lather I find to be phenomenal given the price. However the aroma is a little challenging.
Strangely, I originally didn't understand what Arko was supposed to smell-like.
Only when I visited an orange orchard and realised that the smell was supposed to be the floral scent not the fruit did I ‘get'-it and weirdly I find Ito be more acceptable than I did previously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appealing fragrance adds to the general experience. I consider it a bonus, but not a deal breaker. It's like a flirt that's supposed to draw you in, provide intrigue, yet not carny enough to be of strong relevance.

Also, like other's have reported, I may grow to like a scent that I was at first disinterested with or even revolted by. Women and food was a good analogy.

Easy as ABC....

A. It's got to perform i.e. no skin burn or reaction and the lather has to last plus be slick and protective. Essential.
B. I have to at least not mind the smell - I went through a stage where I loved Arko for its performance then hated the stink and eventually came full circle being just fine with it.
C. It's really great if it smells good: I very much love the scent of rose and violet especially but if a soap really punches above its weight and price point and gives a good, comfortable shave then refer to A and B.

I approach all shaving soaps or creams with the same criteria whether artisanal or mass-produced. Price is a concern for me as I have to watch the pennies and remember that it's just shaving (which I do enjoy) and not S H A V I N G (OMG, this soiled underwear and coffee breath scent is just the most awesome everrrrrr plus the 25-time milled llama milk soap contains organic orangutan sweat moisturiser from uber-fairtrade sources and it makes my skin softer than a curry turd, and, and, and - yeah baby!!!).

Palmolive stick is great but I do love my Wickham's 1912 English Rose.