Is it getting better?

Are you progressing and what does the Futur hold. I think I am zeroing in on a few combinations that are becoming 'shave de jour' for me. Plus I am getting my timing down without any nick, cuts, bruises. So am I plateauing, lazy or have I just arrived?

I've only been at it for just over six months, so I've definitely got a long way to go I think. I've got the time down so it's now doable for me to shave in the morning, don't really get any nicks or cuts anymore and don't often get any irritation. Still can't manage to get my shaves as smooth as I'd like though, still generally end up with stubble on my chin, jawline and neck. Slowly getting there though.

Yellow Jim said:
Still can't manage to get my shaves as smooth as I'd like though, still generally end up with stubble on my chin, jawline and neck. Slowly getting there though.

Have you tried J hooking and blade buffing, that's what delivers a smooth finish for me.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQco5PWc2JU[/youtube]

3 years on i have my technique down, im getting fantastic shaves and have so much wetshaving gear i cant actually realistically use it all.
Am i nearing 'shave de jour'.... ? Not even close.
As long as there is a razor i haven't tried or something new and shiny to be lusted after... then theres always a new level to reach for.

Its half the fun :D

Attero said:
3 years on i have my technique down, im getting fantastic shaves and have so much wetshaving gear i cant actually realistically use it all.
Am i nearing 'shave de jour'.... ? Not even close.
As long as there is a razor i haven't tried or something new and shiny to be lusted after... then theres always a new level to reach for.

Its half the fun :D

Exactly..... :lol: ;)

Thanks for the comments. Just I have reached an equilibrium with the use of Martin De Candre soap combined with Chattersworth loaded with a Gillette sharp. And that ol' cheapy brush Vulfix Boar/Badger. I used to think it necessary to shower beforehand or maybe it is just the warm weather that is having the same effect but I am happy that I can get done in 10 mins and can reproduce those results consistently.
I do use J-hooking and buffing and find them useful to achieve an all round closeness. So can it get any better that this? I took the trusty Tabac for a spin the other day and it seems synthetic compared to MdC. Anyway, I could get boring fast raving about one soap but you only have to look at any French shaving forum to see its popularity. So where from here?

Gosh Jeltz, even the thought is scarey to me ! I'm fairly sure if I attempted that I'd finish up with a thin coil of furled up tissue paper skin ! Guess the motto is for me to remain with what I'm happy with. ;)

JohnnyO.

Back
Top Bottom