is it a case of too much too soon......

yesterday, I had a shave with:

Parker 96r
musgo pre shave soap
Men-u shave cream
Gillette 7 o clock blade
followed by lab series face cream.

I had no issues at all, everything went well, no burn and no cuts...

today, i had a shave with...

same razor
same blade
same soap
Proraso cream
followed by lab series.

my face is very smooth, but its also very hot even after two lots of lab series applied.

now, is it the cream, did I shave again too soon (my 2nd shave), can anyone give advice please.

thanks.

I assume it's still early days for you with a DE. When I was starting out I had quite variable shaves, mainly due to having on and off days with my technique.

The first thing that springs to mind is that you have done too many passes and shaved too close. A really smooth face is many people's goal, but you can pay the price for it. Even now I usually stick to two passes, and if I get carried away I can suffer for it.

The other thing that may have been different is your preparation. Was there anything you did differently in your pre-shave prep?

It will be tempting to vary the products you use, but if you are starting out and trying to find out what works for you it may be best to stick to the same combination for a few days.

I hope at least some of the above makes sense! :D

yeah that does make sense, especially because I shaved twice for some reason.

I did one shave then applied more creme and shaved again.... did I need to do that, possibly not :?

I made sure I went with the grain so I suppose thats something.

Judas said:
yeah that does make sense, especially because I shaved twice for some reason.

I did one shave then applied more creme and shaved again.... did I need to do that, possibly not :?

I made sure I went with the grain so I suppose thats something.

By this I think you mean that you did a second 'pass'. It is normal to shave your face once then reapply lather and shave again. Shaving with the grain is the right thing to do. Many people will shave across or against the grain on their second pass to get a closer shave.

Perhaps you could use your second pass to 'touch up' any bits you've missed, still going with the grain to prevent any possible irritation. Do this a few times and you'll get to notice trouble spots that need extra attention.

Again I must emphasise the importance of decent preparation. There are numerous threads that discuss this topic but do ask if you need clarification on the general concensus.

Oh yeah, and enjoy it!!! :D

It's possible you've "over shaved" and are a bit raw. If you skin feels tender from the previous shave give it a chance to recover.
Its also possible that the Prorasso doesn't like you or the Musgo or vica versa, so if you are getting on well with a product stick with the same routine for a while especially at this early stage.
Is that the second shave with that blade? If its more they can die quite quickly and cause irritation.

You could have just got cocky after the previous shave and not taken the same care, it happens.

antdad said:
You could have just got cocky after the previous shave and not taken the same care, it happens.

I think that was it.

I went a bit quicker and a bit firmer (oh dirty lol).

I will give a chance to recover, perhaps I will try some splash.

thanks to all who answered.

Judas said:
a bit firmer (oh dirty lol).

Dirty lol indeed. You'll fit right in. PigCat will be quaking in his Punmeister boots.

But seriously, don't press on. You're not supposed to press on at all with DE razors. The blades are the sharpest thing in the universe, and really the weight of the razor and the sharpness of the blade is sufficient to complete the shave.

I press on sometimes when I get a really difficult bit, like just there under my chin. And I always regret it.

same everything as previous shave is a good way to learn as you can get the technique without variables.

But there comes a time when a new blade is a good idea!

Also pre-shave prep is not mentioned: were you really warm and wet for a good few minutes beforehand?* Less than the last time I'd guess. A minute of warm wet face before shaving can seriously soften up the beard.

*PigCat! Your services are required.

I think you could eliminate Proraso causing it as IMO it if a far superior product to the men-u "concentrated" *ahem* cream.

My advice has already been said. Don't change anything while you're nailing technique. Once you have technique change only ONE thing at a time and eventually you will find a combo that works for you.

I was lucky and only had a few combos before I found my "go-to" setup.

Remember though, don't "aim for perfection" on your shaves either, go with comfortable over ultra close.

Also, we all have bad shaves sometimes and im sure everyone will agree with me.

Rev-O said:
Also pre-shave prep is not mentioned: were you really warm and wet for a good few minutes beforehand?* Less than the last time I'd guess. A minute of warm wet face before shaving can seriously soften up the beard.

*PigCat! Your services are required.

OK Ollie. I suppose my response would be that getting warm and wet is a good aid to lubrication, and whether you use long or short strokes you will achieve satisfaction without any unnecessary discomfort. That OK for you? :?

Pig Cat said:
OK Ollie. I suppose my response would be that getting warm and wet is a good aid to lubrication, and whether you use long or short strokes you will achieve satisfaction without any unnecessary discomfort. That OK for you? :?

Round of applause for Pig Cat

Back
Top Bottom