Is Alum really that good?

So, Ive been DE shaving for nearly a month and have already amassed far too many bits and bobs. the only thing missinbg from my repetoire is Alum/styptic of any sort.

I do cut myself on occassion so its clearly necessary. Whats the difference between Alum and styptic and how quickly do they help the cut heal? ie, I cut myself shaving low nech area, apply alum - would I be able to put a white shirt on within 10 mins withour looking like Id been to sweeeny todd?

I think Alum and styptic are similar compounds but I suspect they're not quite identical. Styptic seems faster and harder acting, to me anyway, so if you cut yourself often and badly I think styptic works better.

Alum is a general astringent, it will tighten the skin all over and will also help to close tiny nicks.

I could probably do without but I usually have a block anyway (as a deo) so it does come in handy for the odd weeper, if and when they occur.

Alum is a styptic but a milder one than a styptic pencil/match/powder...

Alum in this case is potassium aluminium sulphate decahydrate - styptic pencils (and the like) are generally a low-hydrate content aluminium sulphate & talcum compressed into a stick. The fact of the lower water content and the talc means it is a stronger styptic action.

Nice one HM. That answer couldnt be any more exact to what I was looking for.

Now get the kitchin and bring me some motherloving SUGAR PUFFS!

Alum, other than crisping pickles, was used in health care for centuries. It has astringent, antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, anti-pyretic and antibiotic effects. It's basically a 1st aid kit in stone.

As HM says, if you're cutting yourself, get a styptic pencil as nothing else will stop a gusher (i.e. something that will threaten the shirt collar). If you have the odd tiny spot nick, alum will look after it perfectly well, there won't even be a trace. Horses for courses, but I've not had anything yet that needed anything other than an alum block.

(I lie, I did once slice open my finger with a blade but only bandages were stopping that one).

Back
Top Bottom