Iridiums...game over!

There was a time when I wanted to buy a Le Grelot 6/8" 1/4-grind razor.

At almost exactly the same time a vendor posted about a "Worldwide shortage" and stated "Once they're gone, they're gone forever".

He sold his remaining stock shortly after that and then they started to appear on the forums at silly prices.

The knock-on effect of people buying DE blades in bulk and hoarding them is that people who come along in a couple of years time won't have access to these blades. Or if they do find them they will be ridiculously over-priced. If all they manage to find are the cheaper-quality blades or others that aren't suitable then they will very likely think it isn't worth the hassle and go back to what they were doing before.

Which will leave a little niche of 'enthusiasts' talking about how many blades they've got, how long they'll last them and how much they're worth.

So, while the "I'm alright Jack" mentality ensures the long-term shaving future for a few individuals on the internet - it does nothing for the 'cause' that so many bang on about at every opportunity.

I hope it is a rumour as I despise people inflating the price of something in order to make a quick quid off a few people who feel vulnerable.

Nothing more than bullying.

I've got v.few blades (compared to most here), around 200 at the moment (100 ST + a mix), & there are 100 sharks on their way.
At my current consumption, I've 5 years worth of blades, so can't really worry about that.
I'll very likely buy some more in the next year, and years after, I'll probably die with enough blades for another few years.

I can't worry about blade shortage, so many other things in life are more important :D

Cheers,

Max

Never got on with Irridums, so I can't say I'm "bovvered". However the gradual decline of DE blade production is one thing that drives me to learning how to straight shave.

pedro083 said:
Yip its spunkay knickers rumour. All i can see is they have suspended production could just one vendor has a big stockpile he wants to shift as i would not think a factory would produce all those diffrent blades at one time on diffrent machines more likley a rolling program of diifrent blades at diffrent times.

:lol: :lol:

Love this place, only here could you get away with that and this is why it is such a good forum. How do you know his knickers are spunky, was it you that put the spunk there :lol:

As for the rumors who knows, all I would say if you like them buy a 250 pack and you have three years supply, between that and the rest there are still plenty good blades around. Mind you I took that attitude and ended up with enough to see me through my lifetime but I do intend on selling some, was just much cheaper to buy in bulk and in the long run it may return more than the money in my bank.

With a double-dip recession likely, if you listen to the doom-mongers (Radio 4), these will become currency. It will be possible to buy anything advertised on BST for a 10-pack of Iridium blades. Prices for vintage Gillettes will be expressed in Iridiums, Fido will sell his brushes for packets of Iridiums, and the only currency more valuable will be Feathers.

You read it here first.

Dermot O'Logical said:
With a double-dip recession likely, if you listen to the doom-mongers (Radio 4), these will become currency. It will be possible to buy anything advertised on BST for a 10-pack of Iridium blades. Prices for vintage Gillettes will be expressed in Iridiums, Fido will sell his brushes for packets of Iridiums, and the only currency more valuable will be Feathers.

You read it here first.

No, you have it all wrong. The Iridium, as you say, will be less valuable than the Feather. For a time, things will be measured in the 'Feather standard' (say two Iridiums to the Feather). "Anyone got a couple of Iridiums, this Feather is tearing a hole in my pocket". However, eventually, a saviour will come…

And lo, the 'Bruce' standard will become the measure of all things shave-related.

PIFs will become 'Brucie Bonuses', etc…

You read it here first. :lol:

Lipsy

*gets coat, heads for door at speed… *

Back
Top Bottom