Inside the Factory - Dr Martens

With apologies to overseas readers, did anyone catch this on Wednesday night? https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0013pfp/inside-the-factory-series-6-6-leather-boots

I was struck by how young and 'trendy' the workforce was. Whether this was a deliberate attempt by the management to keep the oldies off the screen, or if they only have youngsters after offshoring and subsequently bringing part of their production back I wouldn't know.

A friend of mine works with local authorities on programs for recruiting younger people into employment. It could make sense for their new workers to be recruited through means of such a manner.

Also, AFAIK DM's closed their old factory in the UK (which is now operated as Solovair) so the old DM staff are working at that factory.

With apologies to overseas readers, did anyone catch this on Wednesday night? https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m0013pfp/inside-the-factory-series-6-6-leather-boots

I was struck by how young and 'trendy' the workforce was. Whether this was a deliberate attempt by the management to keep the oldies off the screen, or if they only have youngsters after offshoring and subsequently bringing part of their production back I wouldn't know.
I watched it and the workforce was just average age as far as I could see.

@donnie_arko - this was the Doc Martens factory that has been running for 124 years.

The factory filmed for the programme is indeed the original factory.
Most DM's are made abroad, and quality is well below that of the boots/shoes made in the UK. The thickness of the leather is just the beginning.
There is as expected a higher mark up on the UK made footwear.
Google foreign made Dr Martens for more info.

As far as I'm aware if you want "original" Made in England Dr Martens boots you actually want to be buying Solovair boots.

There are tons of videos and articles online comparing Solovair to modern Dr Martens boots and pretty much everything I've seen favours Solovair.

As far as I'm aware if you want "original" Made in England Dr Martens boots you actually want to be buying Solovair boots.

There are tons of videos and articles online comparing Solovair to modern Dr Martens boots and pretty much everything I've seen favours Solovair.
This is interesting - there’s no doubt that this is the Solovair factory that the programme was made in - but the shoes were definitely branded as Doc Martens. At least I’m pretty sure they were but I’m now beginning to have doubts. Can anyone confirm, otherewise I’ll need to go back and watch it again.

map.png

A quick look on Google seems to imply they are seperate factories but they're around the corner from each other in Wollaston.

I doubt Solovair / NPS are making anything for Dr Martens now because Docs successfully took legal action against them to prevent them selling boots with their "trademark" yellow welt stitchs.

I used to wear Dr Martens as a student - just clicked on the links.....how much? :eek:

I bought a pair of DM "Made in England" 1461 shoes, and they are indeed of very high quality. I got them in a sale from, I think, "END", but the list price for the English-made is £169, against £119 for the foreign-made version. I also have a pair of their "monkey boots", which were made in Thailand, but from a tan-colour English Church leather, which is a superb quality. They cost about £170, and looking at the DM website, they're now no longer available. A pity, as they're remarkably comfortable and, unlike the 1461s and other DMs I've had, don't take a month of Sundays to wear in.

It is still possible to get DMs resoled, and they offer good value. I also like American-made boots, but the new Bass ones (not made in the USA) are now as expensive as my US-made Red Wings, and getting any repaired is a nightmare in our throwaway society.

I bought a pair of Solovair derby boots a few years ago, took ages to break in but are now very comfortable. Also the soles on them have more treads than Dm's so should last a bit longer.
I can't see me needing another pair. (y)

I bought a pair of DM "Made in England" 1461 shoes, and they are indeed of very high quality. I got them in a sale from, I think, "END", but the list price for the English-made is £169, against £119 for the foreign-made version. I also have a pair of their "monkey boots", which were made in Thailand, but from a tan-colour English Church leather, which is a superb quality. They cost about £170, and looking at the DM website, they're now no longer available. A pity, as they're remarkably comfortable and, unlike the 1461s and other DMs I've had, don't take a month of Sundays to wear in.

It is still possible to get DMs resoled, and they offer good value. I also like American-made boots, but the new Bass ones (not made in the USA) are now as expensive as my US-made Red Wings, and getting any repaired is a nightmare in our throwaway society.

I just got my 10 year old Red Wing chukka boots resoled from Yorkshire Sole

Not cheap to get resoles done by him but his work is fantastic. He does Docs/Solovair replacements as well.

Back
Top Bottom