Ink recommendations for addressing envelopes

Are there any fountain pen inks that won't smudge easily that I could use for addressing envelopes? I have a few Diamine, Parker Quink and Waterman inks, but none of them would fare too well if they were to get wet in the post.

UKRob said:
Indian Ink?

Don't use Indian ink in a fountain pen as it will gum up the works as it tends to be carbon based with binders.
You can get an Indian Style in from Pelican (I think) or have a look here...........

http://www.thewritingdesk.co.uk/reference.php?id=50

Hope this helps Frankie

I have the Parker Quink and now that you mention it, tend to blot all over the place when it gets wet. Strange, never knew I'd find this info here!

Cheap hair lacquer.

Write the address with whatever you want. Quick squirt of Tesco Value (or whatever) hair lacquer.

Tip picked up on a 'creative chalk boarding' course when I worked in the licensed trade...

Others will say to use a white candle and rub a layer of wax over it...

Both work.

hunnymonster said:
Cheap hair lacquer.

Write the address with whatever you want. Quick squirt of Tesco Value (or whatever) hair lacquer.

Tip picked up on a 'creative chalk boarding' course when I worked in the licensed trade...

Others will say to use a white candle and rub a layer of wax over it...

Both work.

That's a great idea! Thanks for the tip. That way I can use any ink/colour I like. Brilliant :)

Registrars Ink - http://www.registrarsink.co.uk/registrars_ink.html
Montblanc - Midnight Blue
Pharmacists - Urkundentinte

These are all Iron Gall inks, and are known for fastness.
I use these in my laboratory notebooks, they have survived flooding!

Iron gall inks (and some registrars' inks) come with warnings about their detrimental effects on fountain pens if you aren't scrupulous in cleaning them (and don't leave them inked for long periods either) because the iron ions in the ink can react with the nib and wreck it...

Not saying "don't" just be aware...

I used the hairspray trick and it works very well. It did increase the width of the letters slightly, but on an envelope that's not a bad thing as it made the address look a little bolder.

Back
Top Bottom