Ingrown advice

My left cheek, in the centre, appears blotchy -- looks like 3-4 spots stuck together. There's only 1 slightly raised area, which feels a bit tender. Is this just a rash or an ingrown hair? I noticed it yesterday and avoided it during last night's shave, but it's still there.

A separate question on available ingrown hair treatments such as Tend Skin (I think it's called): do they burn the top layer of skin off? Are they actually harmful to the skin? The last thing I want, apart from a pesky ingrown, is a bald spot on my cheek.

Thanks in advance.

Tend Skin hurts like hell but gets the job done, or so I've heard. You're right about what it does, it burns (im sure they used another word to make it sound less painful) off the top layer of skin allowing the ingrowing hair to come to the surface and pop out as it were.

It sounds like you may have an ingrowing hair. Im maybe speaking only for myself but I never get them on my face, always just the one hair on a difficult spot just to the side of my adams apple where hair grows in every direction in the space of 1cm squared.

In my experience an ingorwing hair usually appears as one big lump and thats all it is. I have had spots in the past like you describe and it turns out to be just a few spots very close together (1 pore becomes infected and the slightest rub will have the pore right next to it infacted). Thus usually multiplies spot pain by 10x for each spot that is closer together.

Back to the subject of Tend Skin, I think prolonged use may make your skin very sensitive however Im sure it would be ok to use on the odd occasion a hair does become ingrown.

Here is a link to a review on B&B, you only need to look at the list of contents to imagine what would happen to your face. Ha ha :shock: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=T&t=1795

FWIW Id maybe try some Alum on the area see if can bring anything "to a head" as it were ;) :roll:

By your description I doubt it's an ingrown probably a rash, been shaving atg? If you are right handed and shaving your left cheek you are reaching across your face this can sometimes "compromise" your technique, just take extra care.

Is you black? I only ask because Afro Caribbean men with course curly hair suffer from ingrown's, a lot of these ingrown treatments are actually rather nasty, best avoided unless your case is very severe.

Your doing the right thing give the area a break and return to it very carefully, just WTG. Me, I think alcohol is the solution to all problems.

I had an ingrown on my cheek not long ago, I thought it was a spot... under the spot was a mutant thick hair rotting away in pus... I nearly puked when I lanced it and removed the hair stub (no tweezers or force required - such was the rot
smileyPuking.gif
) - the smell of decomposing hair is extremely unpleasant - followed up with surgical spirit and it healed in a couple of days.

Thanks fellas. I'll leave and avoid it for the now.

AD, I am right-handed and I do shave ATG. For some reason, the bristles in the affected patch always seem a tad tougher to reduce.

Back
Top Bottom