Inflation Fighters

Surely Canned potatoes are more expensive than a bag of potatoes ?

Yes, but just a tad, (raw between $1 & $2 lb. US) however I don't always have time to fiddle fart around with prep and sometimes speed is of the essence. I have no wife at present and hate to have a woman cook for me as they usually want to "steal" my essence in return. ;)

Because i work abroad most of my life i can’t stand eating in hotels so in 2018 i bought a slow cooker.
Best thing iv ever bought even at home.
i buy veg in bulk ish size
Then i go to my butchers and get
Mince, Stew, Chicken, Lamb whatever i want really and i make stews, curry’s from scratch, Casseroles & good old mince & potatoes.
Then i freeze the lot in portion size freezer bags.
Apart from saving money i have very little waste money f any.
Also if my wife can’t be bothered cooking if i’m abroad she’s got a fresh ready made meal in the freezer.
Jackpot totally worth it and ultimately saves on the pennies
I'm the same, I bulk cook everything, at least enough for a week or 2 at a time. At the moment i have a big pot of chilli on the stove simmering, i think i will get ten meals out of that, going to Make naan bread later to go with it.
I could probably not cook for a couple of months and still have frozen meals in the freezer.
And as you said not a scrap of food gets wasted.

Yes, but just a tad, (raw between $1 & $2 lb. US) however I don't always have time to fiddle fart around with prep and sometimes speed is of the essence. I have no wife at present and hate to have a woman cook for me as they usually want to "steal" my essence in return. ;)
Everyone has the time
you just make time not excuses if that’s what you want to do.
No one is that busy they can’t cook themselves a meal

Surely Canned potatoes are more expensive than a bag of potatoes ?

I think that might be partly be down to our brethren on the other side of the Atlantic do not do grocery shopping as regular as we do in the UK.

I get the impression from seeing the size of milk containers and other grocery products, and with America being HUGE in comparison to the UK, it's not really unexpected for anyone to live an hour plus car drive from the supermarket, I imagine in the States it's commonplace.

Potatoes are pretty cheap by the bag in the UK but from my experience unless you can buy the ones with soil on the skins, the pre washed ones do not last very long.

I imagine tinned potatoes have the advantage of lasting a lot longer.

Another thing is I get the impression some of our friends on the other side of the Atlantic work longer hours than some do in Europe, and add to that to have commutes much longer than the average UK resident. The combination of a long day and commute on some days would be enough for anyone to be too tired to cook much.

@Bogeyman I'd recommend getting a rice cooker if you don't have one. Also leftover rice is great for making something like Fried Rice, which can be made in a number of ways (Spanish or Asian, etc). It's something I can literally make in a few minutes, and have a delicious meal with little prep.

...Another thing is I get the impression some of our friends on the other side of the Atlantic work longer hours than some do in Europe, and add to that to have commutes much longer than the average UK resident. The combination of a long day and commute on some days would be enough for anyone to be too tired to cook much...

Sometimes my commute is rough:

GKDOV4d.jpg

I'd recommend getting a rice cooker
I'd second that - purchased one earlier this year thanks to the influence of a couple of friends whose wives are Japanese - their kitchens revolve around the things. I wish I had got one sooner - a no brainer from several points of view - perfect result every time - put it on and forget about it until you have finished whatever will go with the rice, hugely cost effective - both in the sense of power use and that I can buy locally a five kilo sack of the best basmati for the same price as a supermarket charges me for one kilo of a significantly lower quality. I often deliberately make more than I need and use the rest the next day. Great inventions. I wouldn't be without a rice cooker. I.

I'd second that - purchased one earlier this year thanks to the influence of a couple of friends whose wives are Japanese - their kitchens revolve around the things. I wish I had got one sooner - a no brainer from several points of view - perfect result every time - put it on and forget about it until you have finished whatever will go with the rice, hugely cost effective - both in the sense of power use and that I can buy locally a five kilo sack of the best basmati for the same price as a supermarket charges me for one kilo of a significantly lower quality. I often deliberately make more than I need and use the rest the next day. Great inventions. I wouldn't be without a rice cooker. I.

I have contemplated a rice cooker for years as I eat quite a lot of rice . I use the twice the depth of water to rice, 9-10 mins boil then switch off and cover for 5-7 mins. Works the majority of the time but would like a fill and forget method. Is a rice cooker like that ?
If so any recommendations on brand to get. Thanks.

I use to bulk prepare meals such as Lamb Vinderloo, Bolognese and Chili con carne. Unfortunately my freezer is playing up. So need to defrost and get it repaired I miss my Bolognese, it's so delicious. I may do a two portion version later this week.

but would like a fill and forget method. Is a rice cooker like that ?
Absolutely in my experience. Rinse the rice, water and salt - that's it at the most basic. Once you get used to the model you own it's foolproof, most good ones as well, when they have finished cooking will keep the rice hot for hours without burning. The water/rice ratio is about the same as a pan - easy to stick in turmeric or whatever to flavour the rice - a touch of all spice is good. You can add carrots, peas whatever you fancy. Have a look at this - the one I have is from this list but it depends on your needs - I wouldn't recommend directly - entirely up to what you need it to do - I.

Back
Top Bottom