Importing goods from the EU. What's the latest?

What's it like importing goods from the EU since Brexit? Delays, customs, duty, VAT, courier clearance charges...?

I've been waiting for things to calm down, but wondered if anyone has any recent experience.

I've had a couple of packages from Germany that still havent got export labels on and have arrived with no duty demands etc. When export labels presumably become the norm it will depend how "creative" the sender is regarding value as to what happens at this end. I would think all is confusion at the moment with Covid thrown in the mix.

Don't quote me on this but I've read a few different threads regarding the subject. It would appear that HMRC have moved the burden of VAT collection on to foreign sellers. You'll see this in action on Etsy, eBay and AliExpress. It therefore appears that items entering the UK under £135 are unchallenged.

Either HMRC can't be arsed with items below this value or there'll be a day of reckoning for foreign sellers that haven't followed our VAT rules (although I've no idea how that will be enforced)

I've just had some watch straps arrive from the US value over £200 with no charges. Unfortunately Hermes the onward carrier on this side relabelled the package and I cant see the declared value on the export form!

You misunderstood Antdad, Beerwulf in Amsterdam sells all manner of beer, I'm not a fan of Heineken but I understand that the one we get here is not brewed in Holland.
Sourcing foreign beer in the UK is not as simple as just buying the brand. Most canned and bottled beers are brewed under license in the UK- check the back label! The worst offenders I have found are Asahi and Sapporo. Brewed under license and imported from Italy, and brewed under license in Vietnam and imported from Canada respectively.

Sourcing foreign beer in the UK is not as simple as just buying the brand. Most canned and bottled beers are brewed under license in the UK- check the back label! The worst offenders I have found are Asahi and Sapporo. Brewed under license and imported from Italy, and brewed under license in Vietnam and imported from Canada respectively.
The Asahi was until recently being churned out by Shepherd Neame down in Kent. Nearly spat my beer out after paying £7 for a bottle in a sushi restaurant in Cardiff and seeing that on the back. Then I realised that would be a total waste and choked it down :mad:

Can it really be that different? after all they'd use the same formula, water analysis, brewing technique, hops etc.
You're really asking that question on a forum where people will argue the toss over the performance of an identical blade in different packaging, or in some extreme cases (not me you understand, definitely not me :whistle:) are convinced a shave is better because the accoutrements are colour coordinated?:unsure::LOL:

Back
Top Bottom