I'm quite excited... (its sad really!)

I've just placed an order for my new brush.

A Simpson Colonel X2L loaded with two band super badger hair. This is colloquially called the Ehsan as it was originally a special order for a chap of the same name.

Cannot wait for it to arrive.

Attachments

• yhst-16445739206724_2098_8539269 (Medium).jpg
    359 bytes · Views: 197
It's a good brush and a nice introduction to Simpson 2 band hair. Stiff with soft tips and it works very well with both soaps and creams.

Available from Bullgoose shaving or possibly Simpson direct.

Fido said:
I just cannot understand this obsession with shaving brushes.

Now let me see. Where can I get an Ehsan?

I got mine direct from Vulfix and I think it is a fantastic little brush which is in regular use. My only comment would be that you need to be patient in waiting for it to break in. With many of the Simpsons 2-Band knots I own I have found that a few uses in it could almost be accused of being a lather hog and I do see them come regularly on other sites with "Used four times", obviously the time to break it in is dependent on how often you use them but don't expect stellar results right away.

The Colonel X2L (aka Ehsan) did not take quite as long as my CH2 in 2-band to shine but none the less out of the box experience is not where these brushes score well. If you are brave enough to think long term then this is for you. During the break in period if you need instant lather for that morning shave against the clock, and this is not giving it up easy, use a blob of cream or just use a cream while it breaks in. I promise you it is worth it in the end. Also I find it quite a nice time to get out the shave sticks and face lather, Irisch Moos and a 2-Band Simpson X2L is a very luxurious experience.

The Simpsons 2-Band range is the main reason my LE2009 sat on the shelf. I wanted stiffer than any Silvertip I had tried but not as stiff as boar and I also wanted soft tips as I don't like it too scrubby either, the LE was damm close but the 2 band range stole it for me. I now have the X2L, CH2, Polo 8, Duke 3, Astor and PJ2 all in two band hair and it is a tough choice I face every morning picking one to use.

For me this brush is a good happy medium the CH2 can take longer to fully load and then rinse so I love using this at the weekend, during the week this is like a nimble sports car where the CH2 is a BMW 7 series luxobarge, both are nice and have their merits.

Congratulations!!! I am sure you will love it, if you don't it will not be a problem to sell on.

Wow audiolab.... you know how to frustrate a man!

I think my postie is thinking I'm a stalker... he has been looking a bit wobbly on his bike as he pedals away from me quickly :x

This post may interest you Guy, has some pics and some more thoughts on it in comparison to the Astor. I have discussed this with antdad before and we drew the conclusion there is next to no difference between the X2L and the Astor, I think you have made a very wise choice.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.php?p=2014826&postcount=207" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showpost.p ... tcount=207</a><!-- m -->

And yeah the posties round here get to know me well and my safe drop spots for when I am out. The waiting game for you my friend....patience is not something I am big on after ordering things.

Returning to the theme of this thread.

I recall my early fascination with bells. Once the vice took hold, there was no resistance. I simply couldn't pass an antique or junk shop without popping in. You never know what lurks in dark corners. And when the internet arrived. Oh dear, it was impossible: Ebay, on line auctions/antique websites. Fortunately that craving has been satisfied. I took a firm decision to confine my collection within one room. As soon as capacity was reached, it was not too difficult to stop. And these days not many bells become available that really turn me on.

And now there's shaving brushes. I thought once I finished my blog, that was it. I even sold some. But now? I'm getting more ideas. The blog could be expanded to include more brushes. I could go for the complete Simpson range? Vintage brushes? Others? I really must get back to some of my other interests. Opera, photography, watching cricket.....

Now where can I get that Ehsan?

Back
Top Bottom