I'm looking for a Soap Recommendation

Hi Chaps

I have been DE shaving for about a year and for this time I have only used creams as I bought so many of the bloody things, I thought I should at least make a dent in the stock. Actually it's not true that I have only used creams, as I did buy the blue Wilkinson Sword "puck" from Tesco and thought it was rubbish, so went back to my mountain of creams...

I would like to see what I am missing with soaps, so could I ask for a recommendation for a good soap to convert this cream man!!

Many thanks

Cheers, Rousey

Hello Rousey,

Why not try the mighty Mitchell's Woolfat ('MWF') soap? It is a tallow and lanolin based soap dating back to the 19th century. Many shavers, including myself, swear by it. It gives an outstanding shave and leaves the skin in excellent condition. Scent is fairly neutral, price is about 5-6 pounds for a refill I believe. One cake will last you many months.

MWF can be had at John Lewis (rebranded under the Kent label) or through online order.

Good luck.

1. Truefitt & Hill Luxury Shaving Soap
2. DR Harris Arlington
3. Trumpers Coconut Oil or Rose

Take your pick out of any of these three and you will be a convert. This is my list, but I think most people agree that DR Harris is a great, safe bet as an introduction to soaps. Personally, Taylors don't do soaps that are worth the effort so stick to these manufacturers.

If you have a John Lewis near you, pick up one of their own brand soaps for less than £3. I believe they are made by Culmak and are very, very similar to T&H which at £17 may be too much for a gamble :| I have never got on with MWF/Kent so cannot it recommend myself.

Hi Rousey

I helped to set up the Huntingdon Local Authority in 1974. Fond memories - it was the winter of the 3 day week caused by fuel shortages.
There are so many soaps! I have the Mitchell's Wool Fat. Didn't know I had it until I realised that my Kent Traditional was MWF in disguise. Produces a great lather so you must try it sometime.

L'Occitane cade feels like real luxury. The bowl makes it expensive - depends on what you feel like paying. I'm glad I got mine. Really classy feel, great lather. Delightful subtle scent.

Hi Rousey, I'm glad you are giving soaps a go. I have recently done the opposite and tried creams for the first time and been pleasantly surprised.

With the risk of repeating myself I think you should definitely try a Palmolive shave stick. Available anywhere you could literally go out right now to say Tesco and buy one for as little as 45p. Personally I'd take the time to grate it in to a bowl then firm it down. I tried using the stick as it was intended and didn't get on with it. Although the scent is to many not up there with the best (though I like it), it lathers like a dream. Better than the Palmolive cream.

For a foray in to soaps you can have your cake* and eat it. :hungrig A cheap soap that performs really well which should be a great introduction in to all things soapy!! :shave

*Just realised that this is actually rather witty, seeing as a piece of soap is often called a cake!! :D Just remember that you can't actually eat soap. My four year old actually tried today and decided he wouldn't do it again.

Pig Cat said:
Available anywhere you could literally go out right now to say Tesco and buy one for as little as 45p.

Well you could in an enlightened country like (say) Scotland, where 24 hour opening means it never shuts (apart from Christmas Day, Easter Sunday and possibly Mahogany), not like this crappy half-way house in England & Wales where they shut at 10pm Saturday, open for a few hours Sunday and then don't open until 8am Monday...

Pig Cat said:
*Just realised that this is actually rather witty, seeing as a piece of soap is often called a cake!!

It's properly called a cake, a puck is the ball-substitute in ice- and roller-hockey and nothing to do with soap.

I endorse PC's comments re Palmolive, and HM's re pucks. Somebody has to recommend Tabac, so it might as well be me: one of the best tallow soaps and easy to lather, although opinion is divided about its distinctive scent. I would suggest that Mitchell's Wool Fat is something to try later as it is a wonderful soap but can be tricky to lather, at least that's been my experience.

guyhayton said:
If you have a John Lewis near you, pick up one of their own brand soaps for less than £3. I believe they are made by Culmak

Now that's interesting, as Captain Jack Sparrow would say - my local chemist sells Culmak both in bowl and refill - is it worth trying?

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=694&start=10">viewtopic.php?f=13&t=694&start=10</a><!-- l -->

Thanks for your many replies; I might give the Trumpers ago as I have been impressed with there creams or the Dr Harris. But will also try the John Lewis own brand.

Thanks again guys.

Cheers Rousy

Back
Top Bottom