if you had to choose one DE/SE/SR for the rest of your life, which one would it be?

I bought one around 2-3 years ago and a Ball End Tech, they are my most used razors.

I can't think of any better razors for daily shaves, well for my growth anyway, but YMMV as ever.
Yes I got a Gillette old type a few weeks ago, excellent shave, also got a tech with the light aluminium handle, shaves great but I find the handle too short, I use it as a travel razor, but would like a Fat Handle Tech.

I posted this more fuller response next door, to the same question...

The Muhle R89 would be the razor I choose. The Merkur's, Feather, Tech, Superspeeds etc. or other daily drivers are all good in their own way, but for me the Muhle R89 strikes the best balance. It shaves at 30 degrees, an intuitive, ergonomic, shaving angle, unlike the Feather or Tech. It is chromed, which is still superior to polished stainless steel, aluminium, brass or titanium for glide and smoothness. And with the right handle choice, it is beautifully balanced. The male and female threads are now brass and the chrome plating is flawless. But more than this, it is how well judged and easy to access, the shaving performance is; for sure, there are smoother razors (the Feather and Karve being examples), razors that use better quality materials, or provide greater blade rigidity, but the R89's overall balance in terms of smoothness, feedback, efficiency, ergonomics, finishing, aesthetics, weight and cost — hits the Goldilocks zone me thinks. The razors efficiency, comfort and quality of shave also increases with a shavers experience and technique. I would also classify the R89 as a mid-efficient razor, rather than a mild razor, for those that have good technique.

I suspect some of the above attributes, figured in Gillette reasoning, when they chose to re-enter the DE market with Muhle's head, rather than one of the excellent far-east clones of their back catalouge, such as a Tech or Suspeed.

I do not consider it an inexpensive razor, especially compared to the many excellent value for money razors coming out of China, I think it is, we just become blasé to the price being charged by boutique razor manufacturers. I think the many members of shaving forums from yesteryear did new wet shavers a great service by identifying and reccommending the Muhle R89 even though many a new shaver inexplicably drop it for something else, believing it to be, incorrectly in my view, a "starter razor", or too mild, rather than just a great razor period.

1632056545215.png
yea i agree, its like the all in one razor the r89, as in can be your one and only razor

i do have the muhle rytmo which has the r89 head but i dont like the handle as it can get a bit slippy when youve got wet hands but love the edwin jagger de89 just due to the better handle, think ive got the amazon kelvin exclusive which is like only between £15-17

although i initially said the leaf, im having doubts, honestly this is tricky trying to choose one lol

I have over 150 razors in my collection. Most are for gazing at but I have over a dozen in regular rotation. The one that always puts a smile on my face is the Fatip Grande Slant. If I had to choose only one, that would be it.
what can one made do with 150 razors? lol

actually i take that back, dont answer that question lool :p

i've had a change of mind, im changing fro the twig to the gillette adjustable black beauty 109 long handle

reasons why, as a head shaver the length and weight of the razor is amazing,
its adjustable so can play around with it and will easily mow down a lot of growth withouth much of an issue

another shout out would be the gillette rocket hd 500, havent seen that being mentioned but that is an amazing razor imho

btw i find it hard to answer this question because everytime i use a different razor im like oh yea i forgot how good this is or how this does something better then so and so razor

ATT H2, i've only been using that one for years now. I'd probably keep my UFO handle rather than the ATT Kronos.

I should really off load a lot of vintage DE's i don't use any more at some point o_O
Am I remembering incorrectly or did you not rather like the Red Tip Rocket? Somebody around these parts restored the tip (ooer) with airfix/humbrol paint and baked it on. Many moons ago now. Was that you, sir? Or am I just as off my rocker as ever?

Am I remembering incorrectly or did you not rather like the Red Tip Rocket? Somebody around these parts restored the tip (ooer) with airfix/humbrol paint and baked it on. Many moons ago now. Was that you, sir? Or am I just as off my rocker as ever?

Yeah that was me (good memory!), i did repaint a set of Red Tip's quite a few years ago now (Rocket, English Superspeed, US Superspeed), the rocket was my favourite of bunch.

Back
Top Bottom