If I was in the market for a stainless razor ...

Fellows - thank you all so much!

I have a generous lend coming of the GC 84 OC which should answer a lot of my questions about that razor. If I like it, I'll no doubt get the 68 regardless if/when they come back in stock. I've had the PILS and the Feather "on the list" since starting traditional shaving and that's where they'll stay for the right time and right deal to come about. I know, I know, there's all these other razors that have been mentioned and certainly one or two really float my boat but ...

I'm set on the Muhle Rocca, which was my silent front runner before starting this thread. It'll be the 95 as I love birch.

... but yes, Hone are really nice. Maybe, maybe, but the point is just the one ... or two, or maybe three.

If I was in the market for a fully stainless razor, what would it be ... and why? Let's not get too hung up about this razor vs that razor but I would like to hear about standout features or character of your proposal.

Obliged fellows,
P
@pjgh I agree with the comments on the Feather AS-D2 and the Rocca (v4); I have shaved with both, and like those a lot.

To add to the debate, may I recommend the Colonial Silversmith, as ever YMMV - I find this an excellent daily shaver, solid build, compact, forgiving, efficient.

All the best,

Chris

On that, let's cut to the chase a little ...

I'm not interested in the Rockwell 6S as it's a handful of plates and the sequence would really piss me off! 1-3 2-4 5-6. What's with that?

I'm not interested in the Rex either model. I love the concept, copying the Gibbs ... but that logo. No thanks. Shallow, I know, but it would annoy me every time I used it.

I'm not interested in Blackland.
Can I ask what may be an obvious question? What do you mean by a handful of plates (for different growth, angle of attack). I have in mind one of thse dreadful multiblade efforts for some reason and it sounds horrible.

Thanks in advance Mark

Go whole hog and order this new copper alloy razor for......drum roll.......$600 U.S.!!! :giggle:

Go whole hog and order this new copper alloy razor for......drum roll.......$600 U.S.!!! :giggle:

I misread your post and thought you had ordered that!

Can I ask what may be an obvious question? What do you mean by a handful of plates (for different growth, angle of attack). I have in mind one of thse dreadful multiblade efforts for some reason and it sounds horrible.

Thanks in advance Mark
Essentially the Rockwell is a 'system' and you can select a plate that suits your growth or skin type. You'll see more here:

When you buy the Rockwell, you're buying the complete system. Other razors allow you to buy additional plates individually.

The plates generally offer differences in blade gap and exposure.

I misread your post and thought you had ordered that!

Heavens no!! :eek:

I see on other forums men who are certifiably obsessed with buying every new artisan razor, cost be damned. There is obviously some sort of mental illness at play there, but it is hard to delineate between their obsessive buying and their endless quest to "eradicate" any semblance of beard every day. People, that is not normal. :oops:

Thanks in advance Mark

You get three baseplates, all of which are reversible. The net effect is that you can "set" the razor with anything from a small blade gap (mild) to a large blade gap (aggressive). Same as an adjustable, deconstructing a problem that doesn't exist to find a solution that already has a solution.

Last edited:

Perverse. I could buy a car for that.

You get three baseplates, all of which are reversible. The net effect is that you can "set" the razor with anything from a small blade gap (mild) to a large blade gap (aggressive). Same as an adjustable, deconstructing a problem that doesn't exist to find a solution that already has a solution.
Thanks for clarifying, given your answer I wonder why they create and sell such items?

Do they create better shaves though? I dont think they are for me.

Given that for decades razors had a fixed blade gap and absolutely no alternatives, the adjustable seemed like a good approach to delivering choice to the customer. Gillette also took a mild, medium and strong approach with their SuperSpeed razors - their blue, silver and red tips for different types of fellow. I think it's more about how much you're shaving off, so the burley woodsman might want a weekly shave with the red and the daily shaving office man would appreciate the blue.

It's about having a choice ...

Of late, the fixed razor approach is being given that choice with different baseplates. Land on the one you like and that's your razor sorted. On occasion you might want a milder plate or if you wanted to mow off a few days of man flu growth, you pick the more harsh plate. So, where back in the '50s Gillette proposed using a different razor but with the twist-to-open mechanism and so no removable baseplate, modern manufacturers are filling that gap.

It about being able to dial in exactly the shave you want ...

It's not an approach I'm interested in, hence the post. Many other folks are, and many other folks also like adjustables.

Before the artisan "fever" swept the DE/SE wet shaving market it was almost a rite of passage for many new shavers to buy a vintage Gillette adj. to try. I know I went through that phase and owned/tried a "Fatboy", Slim and Super 109. They are good razors or course, but my needs were better served by the Tech. That era has passed in the marketplace and now it's all about artisan razors.

Back
Top Bottom