If I was in the market for a stainless razor ...

If the issue is shaving under the nose as, Nick describes it, I have a big nose and nudging the tip of it to the side allows for easy access with almost any razor design.

Thanks for the insight into the other razors - I will look into them.

Regarding the issue, it's not about access ... heck, I can get a 1912 in there without issue! It's about the razor having a quite obvious massive corner where the blade can't reach. I spotted it just by looking and then found that very issue outlined in a review video. If the razor was not that wide (to address the non-issue of covering the tabs) then it wouldn't be an issue. Shame. I guess I'll find out as a very kind chap has offered to lend me one, albeit the open comb.

Another vote here for Timeless, beautifully made and shave really nicely. The 68 scalloped is a wonderful daily razor, whilst the 95 is usefully more efficient without being too much.
Enjoy the dilemma!

I would consider the Rockwell 6S . It has 6 interchangeable base plates to allow shaves to be varied according to skin type and amount of stubble. It's built like a tank and since using it I rarely get nicks,weepers or any problems with skin irritation. It is efficient and it just gets the job done. Oh, and it also looks nice.

If you like a heavy razor that is super efficient and can be very smooth( depends on blade and technique) I would go for Timeless Bronze OC. Otherwise I am with @RussellR5555 on the Karve selection. “D” plate is very efficient and smooth. And it is beautiful to boot. I love the handle.

Thanks for the insight into the other razors - I will look into them.

Regarding the issue, it's not about access ... heck, I can get a 1912 in there without issue! It's about the razor having a quite obvious massive corner where the blade can't reach. I spotted it just by looking and then found that very issue outlined in a review video. If the razor was not that wide (to address the non-issue of covering the tabs) then it wouldn't be an issue. Shame. I guess I'll find out as a very kind chap has offered to lend me one, albeit the open comb.
The PAA Ascension and RR Lupo deal with this by narrowing toward blade edges, and it works pretty well, IMO. The Rex Envoy does this, too, I think.
Uncovered tabs are an issue for me, but most times, I just clip them off to deal with it.

The Mamba 70 is a really easy going razor. I enjoy mine but I think you'll find it a little boring. It's the type of razor you have to do 3 passes with but they're 3 easy, comfortable and thought free passes.

Noted. Thank you.

While I am after an easy razor and one which will hopefully give straightforward and quite forgettable shaves, I like to get done in one pass. I only roll onto a second pass if I particularly enjoyed the character of the shave ... or trying something out. To put into full context, if I just wanted to get shaved I could pick the Gillette Guard or a Fusion 5 or the 1912 or a (late) Tech, get shaved and be done.

I'm after a posh hassle-free (so no adjustable or multiple plates), just fit, shave and forget razor. The reason the R89 doesn't get so raved about or the Tech is called "the humble Tech" is because that's precisely what these razors do - they shave you, without issue and without character. That's what I'm after, but stainless.

The Mamba 70 is a really easy going razor. I enjoy mine but I think you'll find it a little boring. It's the type of razor you have to do 3 passes with but they're 3 easy, comfortable and thought free passes.
That sounds very similar to the BBS-SS, very comfortable and easy, but uneventful, although very close. The blade tabs are covered which I like, but the ends of the safety bar are wider than the blade, which I'm not keen on. The blade fits the cap perfectly snug, and is clamped down very securely which is good. Overall it's an excellent razor. I haven't decided if the BBS-SS or the Rex Ambassador is my favourite..

...I'm after a posh hassle-free (so no adjustable or multiple plates), just fit, shave and forget razor. The reason the R89 doesn't get so raved about or the Tech is called "the humble Tech" is because that's precisely what these razors do - they shave you, without issue and without character. That's what I'm after, but stainless.

ZimdLGG.jpg

Just caught up with this thread and surprisingly not a single mention of the Blackland Blackbird.

I have bought and sold many many razors and the Blackbird is the only DE I have left. Cured my RAD.

You can easily get fuss free shave with with just one pass, but you will want to do a second just for the sake of it.

Slap in a Polsilver and I can get BBS in 2 easy passes.
One of the best looking razors as well in my opinion. My black oxide version developing nice 'patina.
View attachment 62507

View attachment 6250716090178033183886435911675298276.jpg1609017953474871658987735251906.jpg

One I overlooked. The Ikon B1. If you can live with its aggressive nature I can't think of a razor which delivers closer

Since going SE it is the only Stainless DE I have hung on to because I would miss it so much.

Back
Top Bottom