If I was in the market for a stainless razor ...

Just a catch-up here ...

I bought a Muhle Rocca R95 with the birch handle and absolutely love it! Money well spent, certainly delivering shaves that I would say are "a cut above". I also managed to snag the mirror polished R96 that was offered in BST not so long back.

Once the international shipping issues with the UK have simmered down, I will no doubt get the RazoRock Game Changer variants. I've been lent the 0.84 OC and find that a very smooth shaver. Very smooth indeed and in no way aggressive. Mind you, I find the Gillette New to be a tremendously smooth shave and again, not aggressive.

What I like is the close tolerances. I can fit a blade, nip it up and shave with it giving no regard to whether I might have to even up or align the blade as is all too common with many razors out there. Of course, that's exactly why I like the Tech - meticulously researched and well engineered with good quality control ... across decades.

I guess you can get such close tolerances when working with raw metal that is not to be plated.

...Mind you, I find the Gillette New to be a tremendously smooth shave and again, not aggressive...

Years ago I had both New models, SC & LC, and peddled them both as at least for me they had too much OC blade exposure for shaving around the mouth & chin areas which is why, as I have stated before, I don't watch or listen to razor reviews by people with Van Dykes or other assorted chin or mouth hair. It's not the same.

I just have to be particularly careful with a couple of bits at the corners of my mouth, which if they get shaved too close will give me some grotty irritation for a couple of days. I shave down to the corners and the very lightly skim over the very corners. The rest is pretty plain sailing. Only facial hair for me are earlobe length sideburns, which snips off a strip of about three inches of "cheek" shaving.

Indeed, reviewing shave paraphernalia with a mere handful of strokes down the cheeks, over jawline and down the neck is hardly reviewing. That said, I'm sure head shavers think us face-only shavers are not getting the full experience.

But the Gillette New, for me (using the type 134 and the FB, both long combs) most certainly are no more aggressive than the Techs of the same era ...

Essentially the Rockwell is a 'system' and you can select a plate that suits your growth or skin type. You'll see more here:

When you buy the Rockwell, you're buying the complete system. Other razors allow you to buy additional plates individually.

The plates generally offer differences in blade gap and exposure.
I have the 6s in Black & rate it highly
however in my eyes there's a huge difference from injection moulded stainless & one (that's) been turned on a laith with a personal touch

Back
Top Bottom