I now have the secret ingredients

I picked Almond Oil, Glycerin, and Castor Oil at a local India market in Sayreville NJ for about 11 bucks. It is all the key ingredients for shaving cream or soap minus the soap base or cake. I wonder how many almond shave soaps could I get out of this 3 dollar bottle of oil. I wonder if I could add the liquid Glycerin to products that need more of it in my bowl tommorow. Castor Oil too is found in most bath products. Does anyone think it is possible to melt down an unscented bar of soap and add these in a trial an error fashion and use the Hazelnut oil next. How much could we save in dollars by doing this ourselves and where would it end. Vanila extract next maybe.

Soap doesn't contain oils. US cosmetic ingredients lists have to disclose the ingredients that went INTO a preparation (EU ingredients lists have to list what's actually in the product). So if a US ingredients list for a soap lists almond oil and potassium hydroxide, the product does not contain oil and hydroxide, but potassium salts of (almond oil) fatty acids and glycerin (i.e. soap), the products of the reaction between the oil and the hydroxide.

So combining a 'soap base' with oils and glycerin will just result in a lousy (shaving) soap.

It is amazing what is realy involved in this process of soap making. Or at least good soap making. I am finding out that it is not just a matter of adding things togeather, but more say fusing them togeather so they join right. So now that you have busted my bubble who wants almond flavored snicker doodles.

Gman, I have heard of people melting down 'melt and pour' soap base and adding a little extra luxury oil, and of course scent. I don't do that type of soap, so can't comment, I don't like the feel of the usual glycerin soap that it produces.....all wet and sticky. I would imagine however, that adding oils would lessen the lather, and I believe you have to keep the added oil to a minimum.

Back
Top Bottom