I has made a thing. A photo thing.

As part of trying to recover from the after effects of Covid, I have been trying to increase my activity levels.

In theory this shouldn't be hard, I have a dog. A big, energetic loony of a gun dog who needs a lot of exercise to stop her being a pain in the arse. Unfortunately, I also have, virtually on my doorstep, a choice of massive fields where I can just let her run around and around, maybe with an occasional lob of a tennis ball to keep her interested, for long enough to take the edge off... The temptation for taking the easy option is strong at the moment, especially with no opportunity for a pint at the pub (that's) on our usual walk..

So to encourage me to actually go out and walk I've been taking my new to me camera out to try and get some nice pictures of the local wildlife. This being Wigan, we have wild meat and potato pies gambolling across the fields, and feral Uncle Joes Mint Balls leaping out of the Leeds and Liverpool canal and everything...

Problem is, one of my lasting side effects is that I get tired and out of breath really easily and this makes holding a camera steady difficult, especially noticeable when using the zoom to its full length. So I need something to reduce camera shake.

There‘s no way I'm lugging a tripod around so I was thinking of a trekking pole monopod. And to be honest a trekking pole migh make the walk easier too. But one of the other side effects is that I'm off work and that means no overtime, which is what buys the shiny... And I'm really, really bored. So I made one.

I had a really, really crap cheap tripod up in the loft, and a free trekking pole which I found while out walking one day. An electric drill, a screwdriver, some brute force and some epoxy later I had this:

20210103_214129.jpg
Tomorrow, when the epoxy has cured properly, I'll give it a go...

As part of trying to recover from the after effects of Covid, I have been trying to increase my activity levels.

In theory this shouldn't be hard, I have a dog. A big, energetic loony of a gun dog who needs a lot of exercise to stop her being a pain in the arse. Unfortunately, I also have, virtually on my doorstep, a choice of massive fields where I can just let her run around and around, maybe with an occasional lob of a tennis ball to keep her interested, for long enough to take the edge off... The temptation for taking the easy option is strong at the moment, especially with no opportunity for a pint at the pub (that's) on our usual walk..

So to encourage me to actually go out and walk I've been taking my new to me camera out to try and get some nice pictures of the local wildlife. This being Wigan, we have wild meat and potato pies gambolling across the fields, and feral Uncle Joes Mint Balls leaping out of the Leeds and Liverpool canal and everything...

Problem is, one of my lasting side effects is that I get tired and out of breath really easily and this makes holding a camera steady difficult, especially noticeable when using the zoom to its full length. So I need something to reduce camera shake.

There‘s no way I'm lugging a tripod around so I was thinking of a trekking pole monopod. And to be honest a trekking pole migh make the walk easier too. But one of the other side effects is that I'm off work and that means no overtime, which is what buys the shiny... And I'm really, really bored. So I made one.

I had a really, really crap cheap tripod up in the loft, and a free trekking pole which I found while out walking one day. An electric drill, a screwdriver, some brute force and some epoxy later I had this:

View attachment 62826
Bloody good job! Well done that man!
:) P.

View attachment 62826
Very useful - well done on the ingenuity front - I have Leki poles I use on the hill that have a camera mount under the handle - as you say - who can be arsed carrying a tripod? Tie two poles together - then - lash them off with a bit of paracord - a small ball and socket joint - peg that to the ground - instant tripod. Job done. Good effort. I.

Nice work on the monopod!

My brother is a pro photographer. His high-end Nikon cameras weigh a ton. His main cameras weigh as much as (probably more than) my 1940s Speed Graphic. While he has several pro-level tripods, he uses a monopod for most of his work.

I still have a working darkroom and shoot and soup black and white from 35mm to 4x5.
I built my first darkroom 53 years ago in my parents' basement, with cardboard walls from refrigerator boxes.

Back
Top Bottom