I don't need one but ....

Am I missing the point here? The Asus is wi-fi enabled and/but does not have a USB port to accept a dongle. Which means an Asus can only connect to the internet in HotSpots?

Bechet45 said:
Am I missing the point here? The Asus is wi-fi enabled and/but does not have a USB port to accept a dongle. Which means an Asus can only connect to the internet in HotSpots?

You would/could tether from your smartphone to your tablet over wifi/Bluetooth.

Bechet45 said:

Do you mean you need a usb port for a mobile dongle if so maybe you should look at getting a tablet with 3g on it,just had a look at the asus in your link it say's it has a usb port...

I've been a longish (in tablet terms) user of a Wifi only tablet - used as mattyb suggests via my phone as a hotspot (or on a longer trip - both via the Mifi in my other pocket to save the battery on the phone... ultralight browsing via phone only)... last thing I need/want is a device with another mobile data SIM (either contract or PAYG) - why would I when I already have one? (well 2 - on different networks naturally)

Currently have a Nexus 7 (16GB) - because I simply don't keep stuff on there (I've had a 16GB tablet now for around 12 months and rarely have more than 0.5GB of stuff on there) - if I want to take it away with films/music on - I load it up from the mediastorage that is my server (running PS3MediaServer as uPnP/DLNA server)... via BubbleUPnP (as uPnP/DLNA control point/renderer) and what's more it happily streams to the RaspberryPi running RaspBMC (a port of XMBC running on the RasPi) as renderer (via HDMI to the TV)...

Top banana!

Dave.B said:
.....just had a look at the asus in your link it say's it has a usb port...

You are right, of course - I'd forgotten the docking station! Thanks!

mattyb and hunnymonster - let's not make bold assumptions about my phone! It is petit rather than smart!

Having Googled 'mifi', hunnymonster, I understood your first paragraph and a half and then was left at merely rcognising some of your terms - a bit like my French 'O' Level. But I think I caught your drift!

Between loading a tablet at home and using a PAYG dongle stuffed into the docking station as well a Hotspots, I should get by economically.

Two more questions have arisen in my mind: Am I right in thinking the email client is web-based? And: Am I right in thinking that one cannot load more software into these tablets, that one is limited to apps?

It's android based apps so I think you have about a third of the apps available compared to apple but I think it's growing as its only coding changes to alter an app to run on differing software

Boab said:
I will add the Microsoft Surface into the mix.

Ah! the flappy advert one! Been unable to find it till you told me its name! Gracias!
'Sa bit pricey for a machine that isn't predicted to see a lot of use - plus - I'm getting kinda hooked on a non-MS and non-Apple machine. Just for the sake of doing it differently, is all.

I went through all this just over a year ago, Carl.

I've tried out a lot and at present we have a Nexus 7 and an IPad 2 in the house.

I would say it depends what you want to use it for.

I use mine for playing games, reading and browsing the web. I wanted something with the largest marketplace and therefore went for an IPad. I've never regretted it.

My wife doesn't do much game playing but uses a lot more 'business type' apps, browses the web and reads emails. She is chuffed to bits with her Nexus.

So, in summary, whichever one you get probably won't be a bad choice (though I don't think I'd go for a Windows 8 tablet just yet).

Brianpilman said:
It's android based apps so I think you have about a third of the apps available compared to apple but I think it's growing as its only coding changes to alter an app to run on differing software

But then just how many fart apps do you need?

End of the day Carl - what do you want the tablet to do?

Android has a stock Gmail client and a stock email client - both of which work well - if you use Yahoo there's a specific Yahoo client etc... and naturally you can use the web interface too... and working maps

The main purpose of the tablet - currently - is to teach me about tablets, which is happening already. After that, I just don't know where it will fit into my life and for what purpose - all I can imagine is the same as I use a computer for, only more mobile and 'with it'. I figure it will either take over my computing needs or spend its days in a cupboard - or keep me awake in bed.

The Asus Transformer fits the bill in many if not all respects - I'm even getting used to the price. A messenger bag takes care of transporting it about. Pay the bill on my 'toys credit card' on the 8th and then I reach decision time!

Sorry, didn't quite catch that.... :icon_wink:

It kept saying it had failed to connect to the forum... Then refreshing the thread revealed it was all FILTHY LIES.

Then I tried to delete one of the triplicates and it killed all three.

I fuckin' love computers, me.

Did it again! But the other thread I posted in was fine. Weirdness.

In that case, Dr Rick, I shall take my phone along to the store - yes! I'm actually contemplating buying something in a store! - and see if it can be tethered to an Asus. This is starting to get very hip! Meantime, I'd best set the phone up for internet access - which it assures me it can do!

A bit later: This may help. Mine ins't listed, but it has to be worth a go.

I typed into Google "who threw the first ball in Wimbledon this year?" and it said server not found :icon_razz: