I bought a yaqi boar bristle brush, now what?

Complete impulse buy, sub £4 before tax, couldn't resist. Lovely feeling Handle and brush.

What now? Do I just crack on with it? Lather with cheap bar soap? Or go for the cold water fridge thing (I know very little about this one)?

Thanks in advance everyone :)

Complete impulse buy, sub £4 before tax, couldn't resist. Lovely feeling Handle and brush.

What now? Do I just crack on with it? Lather with cheap bar soap? Or go for the cold water fridge thing (I know very little about this one)?

Thanks in advance everyone :)
Give it a couple of palm lathers first to get rid of the funk - letting it air dry between lathers for 36-48 hours. Your call after that - break it in through use or try a different method.

I like to clean mine with washing up liquid,
leave it for 10 - 20 minutes then lather it up,
rinse thoroughly
then repeat using shampoo,
rinse thoroughly
leave it to dry
upside down preferably.
There’s all sorts of stuff out there but for me the best way to break it in is use it as intended.
it might be a bit scritchy but hey a little exfoliation didn’t harm anyone

I know right! I'm very similar, can't resist!

Mine are all synthetics until I got this one.

Which ones do you have?
All My Yaqi’s are synthetics mate
iv never taken the plunge for a badger or boar.
Not for any reason but i feel i have enough already and really just like the yaqi for the different colour variations.
it’s easier telling you what ones i don’t have lol
i’m a sucker for a bargain.

I’ve a defect Synthetic Sagrada Familia, had a mokka defect, had a lucky dice synthetic which I loved but my PAA phantom just pipped it and have a Yaqi Cavern Lake two band badger, and the boar. I just need to get a silver tip and I’ll have tried most of their offerings. I’ve loved them all, obviously their are better brands but most are double or more price wise and they are an excellent starting point, (and in some cases just excellent!) Their AliExpress app does regular almost weekly flash sales where you can pick up most for 1/3 or more off.

My usual for a new piggy, whatever his ethnicity is to give him a soak in hot water for only a couple of minutes (really, just while the sink kinda fills up and certainly no longer than I would if I were to shave with it), then a very generous and prolonged loading in a good shaving soap to build a sound proto-lather. Let the brush sit for several minutes. It at this point I reckon (entirely unscientifically, of course) that the fats in the soap do something nice to the natural hair. Rinse out and let it dry over night sitting upright on its handle.

I'll just use the brush entirely as normal thereafter ...

I hope you enjoy yours. Bear in mind it will just get better and better. It will. I had a Semogue SOC that I struggled with time and time again, so set about using it exclusively for a month and about 3 weeks in, it suddently bloomed into a wonderful brush. Before that, it worked, just wasn't as good as some of my others. Now, I'd say that one is probably my favourite.

Back
Top Bottom