How smooth is your neck after a DE shave?

I have a coarse beard and my neck hairs grow in all manner of directions. I also have fairly sensitive skin. After 3 passes my face will be smooth, but there will always be spots to touch up on my neck and just below my jawline. If I want to get it really smooth it will inevitably lead to some irritation.

I'm using a Parker adjustable usually set at 3-4 on my face and 2-2.5 on my neck. I've tried most of the popular brands of blades with fairly similar results, sharper coated blades seem to work best for me and my sensitive skin. I always rinse with cold water.

So is your neck smooth after a couple passes? Do you shave across the grain on your neck? I see videos of guys taking off 4-5 days of growth in 2 passes and saying it's smooth. I have a hard time believing that but it's their beard, not mine.

My neck area has always played havoc with shirt collars....whirls and swirls everywhere. I used to have to shave every which way I could just to remove the offending stubble. That has always been the reason for touchups. Not so important now as I have retired. It's polo shirts and t-shirts for me now .

My neck area has always played havoc with shirt collars....whirls and swirls everywhere. I used to have to shave every which way I could just to remove the offending stubble. That has always been the reason for touchups. Not so important now as I have retired. It's polo shirts and t-shirts for me now .
I worked in an office for a summer when I was in my early 20s, I never knew until then what stubble can do to a shirt collar. It didn't help that I used an electric razor back then.

I have a coarse beard and my neck hairs grow in all manner of directions. I also have fairly sensitive skin. After 3 passes my face will be smooth, but there will always be spots to touch up on my neck and just below my jawline. If I want to get it really smooth it will inevitably lead to some irritation.

I'm using a Parker adjustable usually set at 3-4 on my face and 2-2.5 on my neck. I've tried most of the popular brands of blades with fairly similar results, sharper coated blades seem to work best for me and my sensitive skin. I always rinse with cold water.

So is your neck smooth after a couple passes? Do you shave across the grain on your neck? I see videos of guys taking off 4-5 days of growth in 2 passes and saying it's smooth. I have a hard time believing that but it's their beard, not mine.
You are not alone - my hair growth and skin are similar to yours. After two passes (WTG, XTG), even with a efficient razor such as a Blackland Blackbird or Tatara Masamune Nodachi, I still need a third pass ATG to get my neck completely smooth. If I'm starting to experience discomfort with the third pass, I ease off and accept what I have.

You are not alone - my hair growth and skin are similar to yours. After two passes (WTG, XTG), even with a efficient razor such as a Blackland Blackbird or Tatara Masamune Nodachi, I still need a third pass ATG to get my neck completely smooth. If I'm starting to experience discomfort with the third pass, I ease off and accept what I have.
Yeah I have basically learned to live with some rough spots on my neck. Next shave I might try atg before wtg on my neck and see if it makes any difference. Glad to hear I'm not alone here, thanks.

Yeah I have basically learned to live with some rough spots on my neck. Next shave I might try atg before wtg on my neck and see if it makes any difference. Glad to hear I'm not alone here, thanks.
One tip that works for me is to massage a good pre-shave product into the problem areas on my neck. I tried many before settling on Myrsol Emulsion, but there are many good ones on the market.

With a coarse beard and sensitive skin you will probably never be able to get that "perfect" finish that you wish for, set your sights lower and aim for a finish that will not end up with irritated skin.

Paul.

Have always suffered with sandpaper like micro stubble on the neck-line either after a shave or when the new growth starts. Have also trashed many, many shirts and fleece collars over the years + jumper necklines

I have a solution that actually works - but it isn't very on-message i am afraid .....

I do my normal 4 pass DE shave which leaves everything great, apart from that awkward micro stubble which is left on the bumpier and curvier areas on the neckline and under the chin.

I then splash just water on those areas and go very lightly over them with a floaty-head Gillette fusion 5 razor. Result = BBS smooth all over

Somehow the floaty head multi-blade Gillette Fusion is able to ride the bumps and mow down that stubble very effectively. The Gillette blade also lasts forever, because the DE blade has done all the work - honestly i get a couple of months out of a 5 blade cart this way. o_Oo_Oo_O

"I am just going outside and may be some time."

I shall hand back my TSR sabre on the way out, that one of you Gentleman may break it in two across his knee

Have always suffered with sandpaper like micro stubble on the neck-line either after a shave or when the new growth starts. Have also trashed many, many shirts and fleece collars over the years + jumper necklines

I have a solution that actually works - but it isn't very on-message i am afraid .....

I do my normal 4 pass DE shave which leaves everything great, apart from that awkward micro stubble which is left on the bumpier and curvier areas on the neckline and under the chin.

I then splash just water on those areas and go very lightly over them with a floaty-head Gillette fusion 5 razor. Result = BBS smooth all over

Somehow the floaty head multi-blade Gillette Fusion is able to ride the bumps and mow down that stubble very effectively. The Gillette blade also lasts forever, because the DE blade has done all the work - honestly i get a couple of months out of a 5 blade cart this way. o_Oo_Oo_O

"I am just going outside and may be some time."

I shall hand back my TSR sabre on the way out, that one of you Gentleman may break it in two across his knee
I bought a big pack of gillette 2 blade disposable razors with the pivoting head at a bulk store a few years ago that I use for this purpose. Also good for a fast close shave.

I saw a geofatboy video where he talks about "riding the cap" for smooth cheeks. Today I tried this method for touch ups on my neck. It worked really well and didn't really irritate the skin any further. I was using a fresh voskhod blade, not sure how well it will work after a few shaves.

I don't suffer badly on my neck, but if discomfort sets in then all very simple, stop.
Fortunately I have very few reasons to wear a shirt collar and even rarer with a tie.

I do believe though that regular use of Witch Hazel goes a long way to help keeping any irritation down and keeps my skin in pretty good order. Between that and regular moisturising. I am quite happy being a pretty wrinkle free 61 year old.

My wife would probably say different.

Swirls on the neck area will always be an issue for many of us.
The way I get a close finish without redness or irritation is as follows . . .
First pass - go upwards diagonally (towards the Adams Apple)
Second pass - go from the Adams Apple outwards horizontally.
(I've tried reversing these two steps and found that it was ineffective)
If I feel it's not smooth enough, I'll then go vertically upwards (going from top to bottom os where I get redness)
This is what works for me, and may/may not help others.
Most importantly, the 'no pressure' rule applies, as well as ensuring your lather is as slick as possible.

Swirls on the neck area will always be an issue for many of us.
The way I get a close finish without redness or irritation is as follows . . .
First pass - go upwards diagonally (towards the Adams Apple)
Second pass - go from the Adams Apple outwards horizontally.
(I've tried reversing these two steps and found that it was ineffective)
If I feel it's not smooth enough, I'll then go vertically upwards (going from top to bottom os where I get redness)
This is what works for me, and may/may not help others.
Most importantly, the 'no pressure' rule applies, as well as ensuring your lather is as slick as possible.

I am pretty much the same.

Getting to know your face goes a long way as I was surprised to find the hairs on my neck were quite the opposite to what I expected.

Well I did it, overshaved, all my fault TBH.
Rookey error!

Edwin Jagger 3one6 stainless
Gillette 7 o'clock yellow.
Razorock, For Chicago
(I love this soap, wish I could eat it)
Alum block and witch hazel lemon, followed by Davidoff Adventure, and proraso balm.

I was enjoying the shave too much, so did a THREE PASS & PICK UPS.... big mistake, minor razor rash all over the next day.
NOTE TO SELF- From now on, 2 pass and maybe pick ups with the 3one6 ONLY!

Yup same here. 3 passes (with grain, across the gain one way and then across the grain the other) with get my face smooth as glass. My neck will never be able to do that without irritation, so I don't. I can get away with 2 1/2 passes on my neck and thats it. I would rather have a slightly rough neck in one direction than irritation.

Back
Top Bottom