How good are Homemade soaps and cream?

[size=large]Hello,

I've been using Taylor of Old Bond street shaving cream for the past few months and have recently thought about making some soap or cream at home. I know people have do this and would just like some opinions on how homemade compares to the premium brands, how easy it is to make and if anyone has a good recipe to follow. Also I'd like to know how much it might cost me. :icon_razz:

Many thanks
[/size]

Hi Craig - why not try a handmade soap off Ebay, to see if you like them? I think there was a review of a handmade soap on this site a while back.

I've been trying a glycerine soap with lemon and bergamot oils which is really refreshing and lathers up easily.

Pretty cheap too - only three or four quid with the postage I think.

Maybe TTO got lucky but I've taken a few punts on unknown ebay soapers and found them to be poor shaving soaps but fine for general use. As a cost cutting exercise I doubt it's worth making your own.

As to how good they are, you just have to read the comments on the quality soaps produced by Henk, Sunbury, Nanny, Artisan or Prof Blighty just to mention some of our own members to know that they are certainly equal to or superior to some of the "professional" shaving soaps.

If you fancy a challenge then I'm guessing that you've probably picked out a good one ! One of the fringe benefits of being in TSR is the amount of sample soaps which often get sent out for trials as one of our soapymakers dreams up a new creation. It can take an awful lot of experimentation to arrive at a satisfactory result.

JohnnyO. \:dodgy:

JohnnyO said:
One of the fringe benefits of being in TSR is the amount of sample soaps which often get sent out for trials as one of our soapymakers dreams up a new creation. It can take an awful lot of experimentation to arrive at a satisfactory result.

Good Lord, the fellow's only contemplating the idea of making soap and you're angling for a sample. Surely a contender for the much coveted Order of the Gannet!

Pig Cat said:
JohnnyO said:
One of the fringe benefits of being in TSR is the amount of sample soaps which often get sent out for trials as one of our soapymakers dreams up a new creation. It can take an awful lot of experimentation to arrive at a satisfactory result.

Good Lord, the fellow's only contemplating the idea of making soap and you're angling for a sample. Surely a contender for the much coveted Order of the Gannet!

:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Pig Cat said:
JohnnyO said:

& I should have guessed who'd have blown my cover !!!

JohnnyO. \:blush:

is it better to make homemade soap or go for the ebay homemade soaps, they dont costy that much tbh

is it better to make homemade soap or go for the ebay homemade soaps, they dont costy that much tbh
Go straight to one of the UK's best: Signature Soaps

Hand soap is awesome, foaming shower wash is awesome and shaving soap is awesome. You don't need anything more.

Obviously I've bought more though as I'm a total whore when it comes to soap

Back
Top Bottom