How do you shave your top lip with a micromatic?!

I've had my first ever shave with a single edge tonight - a Gem Micromatic Clog-pruf picked up off ebay earlier in the week. The shave was average I think, it gave me a couple of small nibbles, but overall nothing to dramatic. The finish wasn't anywhere near as close as I can get with an EJ89 but, given that it's such a different beast, I'm not unhappy with my first experience.

However, I have a conundrum... how do you manage to shave WTG on the top lip?! The head was simply too big to fit without angling the blade almost horizontally and incurring a fair amount of scrape-age.

Finally - anyone who has one of these, what blades do you find best with this type of razor? (indeed, are any available other than the Gem blades at Connaught?)

Cheers
Stu

I tend to just go XTG and ATG on my top lip, seems to clear the stubble. Like you, I can find it hard to get there WTG.

I've only ever used the GEM blades from Connaught, they seem to be the most readily available. I know some other SE users on here use carbon steel blades, and but I'm not sure where they get them from. I'm sure they'll be along soon with the info.

MachM said:
I've only ever used the GEM blades from Connaught, they seem to be the most readily available. I know some other SE users on here use carbon steel blades, and but I'm not sure where they get them from. I'm sure they'll be along soon with the info.

It came with a box of 4 (originally 5, but one's missing) Gem double edged blades - they have a removable spine with a second blade underneath. I assume that they are vintage, but I might have a dabble at one of them to see.

Helveticum said:
It's really simple. Nothing worth dedicating a topic to, really, just takes a little bit of practice.

Sorry - was meant to be a light hearted way of opening a conversation about something that was new to me, although obviously not to everyone. I'll try to keep topics to worthwhile things in the future.

For the top lip you go from side to centre.

I personally find the open comb micromatic to be quite aggressive and nowhere near the comfort that the Ever Ready 1912 or Gem Junior give.

The only blade that I know of that fits the Micromatic is the Gem SE. I've used a single edge Feather with spine from a Gem in the ER and Gem Junior but I don't think they fit the MM.

ChopperHarris said:
Sorry - was meant to be a light hearted way of opening a conversation about something that was new to me, although obviously not to everyone. I'll try to keep topics to worthwhile things in the future.

It's not about something being obvious. Just something your body needs to learn - some micro movements. I also failed to do a good job a couple of times, then it just kind of came together. Seriously, there's no special trick there that SE users are hiding, just takes more than one attempt.

Helveticum said:
Seriously, there's no special trick there that SE users are hiding, just takes more than one attempt.

I didn't really think that there was - I've just picked up a razor that is novel to me and that I like the look and feel of and wanted to discuss. Instead of posting a thread entitled 'look at my lovely razor that is new to me, but old-hat to many of you', I thought I'd try to pick a title and ask a couple of questions that might develop into a conversation (which I guess is what I've got, although not quite as I expected).

However, I am looking forwards to giving this a proper go and trying to get on with it. Although it did bite a little and was in a different league (aggressiveness-wise) to my EJ, it didn't feel as unwieldy and dangerous as the loaner R41. I am really impressed by the build quality of the razor - the twist action is so smooth that it could have come off the production line yesterday, rather than 50 years ago. I really want it to turn into a favourite.

I also was genuinely interested in the alternative blade question - I've found the journey of blade discovery on DE's to be very enlightening and it's taken a while to decide on which ones really suit me. To be restricted to a single brand (that may or may not be primarily blades for tools) now seems alien - although it was the way of things prior to me DE (sticking firmly with Gillette Sensor 3's for years).

Greetings

I shave every day with a SE of one type or another.

I shave my top lip downwards with the first pass, but because of the shape of all SE heads it is only possible to shave the bottom half of ones lip downwards. The second and third passes I shave my lip sideways which takes care of all the lip including the upper half, I do not shave upwards on my lip as i find it too tender (with any razor)

I find it is much easier to cut those difficult hairs under the nostrils with a SE as the corners of the blade are shielded under the blade stops so you cannot dig the blade corners into your skin.

The question of blades is really that the stainless PTFE coated ones from Connaught's are the only realistic answer in Britain. In the USA (but not Europe) carbon blades are still sold, Treet, GEM Blue Star and Family Dollar and PAL, with the exception of PAL these are all the same blade made by ASR/Personna.

The only place to purchase these here is from E-bay (from the states ) and shipping is expensive unless you purchase 100. I have a few packets of GEM Blue Stars and I am unsure as to whether I like them or not. They have a different face feel, but shave well enough although when I first tried them I made my face sore. You do need to remove them from the razor after use and thoroughly dry them, they stain after one shave and will rust overnight unless kept bone dry.

The OCMM is my favourite SE but as I use a SE every day I don't find it's aggression a problem. I suspect I am just tuned in to that style of razor.

The use of Feather SE blades with or without an added spine is rather problematic, they fit some SE's without a spine and some with an added spine and some not at all. They were designed for the Feather SE razor which is a Valet Autostrop clone (IMHO) although I have only seen a photo of one. The Feather blades will not even fit all models of Valet Razors, and in any event they only last for two shaves and are damn expensive!

Regards
Dick.

Shave what you can WTG followed by an XTG pass; it can be a bit tricky with such a sizable head but with a little practice you get used to it, some skin stretching over the front teeth maybe required to pick up the strays.

Norfolkdick said:
I find it is much easier to cut those difficult hairs under the nostrils with a SE as the corners of the blade are shielded under the blade stops so you cannot dig the blade corners into your skin.

I think that this is where I fell short with the R41 - I managed to dig the corner into my chin and then peel myself slightly (the scar is less noticeable after a couple of months!) I hadn't considered that as a benefit but does make me slightly less intimidated by the Gem.

Norfolkdick said:
The only place to purchase these here is from E-bay (from the states ) and shipping is expensive unless you purchase 100. I have a few packets of GEM Blue Stars and I am unsure as to whether I like them or not. They have a different face feel, but shave well enough although when I first tried them I made my face sore. You do need to remove them from the razor after use and thoroughly dry them, they stain after one shave and will rust overnight unless kept bone dry.
The Feather blades will not even fit all models of Valet Razors, and in any event they only last for two shaves and are damn expensive!

I had read about the blue stars elsewhere and was wondering about getting hold of them, but it doesn't really sound worth my while. As I found with the DE at first, once I'd got over the urge to try something new every day, a bit of consistency was very useful. I guess I should stick with the connaught blades and not worry about variety - particularly as I'm not a fan of taking blades out of razors to dry (I use a blade until it's chucked these days). You've also convinced me to give it a while before I bother with the feathers.

Norfolkdick said:
The OCMM is my favourite SE but as I use a SE every day I don't find it's aggression a problem. I suspect I am just tuned in to that style of razor.

For whatever reason, I really haven't got on with OC razors yet (just over 12 months of DE shaving) - I own a couple and don't intend to get rid just yet, but from my perspective the Clog-pruf seemed a sensible first step. Plus I really do think it's pretty!

Same way as with a straight: you "scoop" it, like scooping ice cream.

What I mean is, you go in almost perpendicular under the nose, and then, as you move the blade down over your lip, you alter the angle.

Takes a bit of practice, but its not that hard.

/Max

One other thing:

Most SE blades have a rougher feeling against the skin than most DE blades. This can largely be compensated by "stropping" the blade before you use it.

Try laying the head of the razor flat against a piece of denim and strop the blade mounted in the razor 10 to 20 times against the denim. It makes a huge difference. I normally just do this against my thigh (wearing jeans of course).

Needless to say that the edge should be trailing, not leading...

/Max

mstrunck said:

Yes, definitely needless to say that bit. It's not like I went the wrong way first time I ever stropped a straight razor. And I definitely didn't slice halfway through the strop or anything.

Oh no, not me...

Thanks for the suggestion re. stropping - I might give that a try next time. I'd seen some suggestions about stropping the blade before every use, but I assume that's overkill?

ChopperHarris said:
mstrunck said:

Yes, definitely needless to say that bit. It's not like I went the wrong way first time I ever stropped a straight razor. And I definitely didn't slice halfway through the strop or anything.

Oh no, not me...

Thanks for the suggestion re. stropping - I might give that a try next time. I'd seen some suggestions about stropping the blade before every use, but I assume that's overkill?

I have tried that, but I think the gain is minimal.

But if you did that, you would essentially be doing the same to the blade as that gizmo "RazorPit" does to cartridges. My dad has one, he reports it significantly prolongs the life of his cartridges, so the same could be true for SE blades. Haven't ventured into this though.

/Max

Back
Top Bottom