Hone question?

Hi can granite be used as a hone only asking as i have two smallish pieces 6x3" i was just wondering? :)

Attachments

• 167121_1496692029533_1601085197_31038223_5357960_n.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 52
Depends, is the short answer! Granite varies enormously, as it is a blend of differner elements. The hardest element is the mix is usually not much more than 7 on the Mohs hardness scale, the softest not much above 2 - 2.5. To put that in perspective, gypsum and calcite - soft minerals - are between 2 and 3 on the scale, and quartz is around 7.

Unless the mix is an uncommonly fine one, I think granite would be a bit on the abrasive, scratchy side.

Mind you, something as unlikely as a sheet of glass can be used as a hone. I don't mean the curved hones sold for DE blades - there were a few for straight razors. One had a finely ground surface, that helped produce the edge. If, after prolonged honing the glass got shiny, it could be sent back to the manufacturer for regrinding.

Something like that would only act as a very fine hone, I assume. For routine maintenance I reckon you would need something more appropriate to razors.

Regards,
Neil

Back
Top Bottom