Home brew aftershave

I read something about making Bay Rum and it inspired me to have a go at blending one myself out of things from the cupboard and garden!

2 parts navy rum, 1 part witch hazel, bay leaves (I know the West Indian tree is a different species), rosemary, spearmint, lemon balm and tarragon left to stew for a few weeks, sieve it and well see what comes out the other end!

Anyone else had a go at home brew aftershave and if so how did it go?

Nope, but I'd be interested in hearing how it turned out.

Bay Rum can be so hit and miss, when drunk you want to hit but usually miss.

Yup, I made some sandalwood a/s out of ethanol and eo.

It's OK but not a bit one-dimensional and not much sillage / longevity.

Trumper's Sandalwood is £30 for 50ml but worth every "scent"; Cella is £12 for 200ml and the best value.

With those two plus Tabac I'm sorted.

I have my own 'Urban Hermit's "All Agrog"' bay rum shave oil, and my 'Urban Hermit's "Bay Rum Baba Balm". Not really brewed as oils & essential oils, witch hazel, aloe vera etc. etc. etc. & stuff.

Sadly, I make my stuff less on a strict recipe, and more on a whim & a spray, er ... anyway, I have noted which oils I used, which EOs I used and so on, but not actual amounts. I made the shave oil first, then used some of that as the lotion's base, with cheap dark rum, more aloe, witch hazel, jojoba oil ... blah blah blah.

I don't know if it's what others classify a 'proper' bay rum, but better than that, I like it and it works for me. Not as clove-y, more lime, tweak, twist, adjust ...

I can dig out the list of ingredients, if you'd like but not the amounts, as previously stated,

Jeltz said:
I read something about making Bay Rum and it inspired me to have a go at blending one myself out of things from the cupboard and garden!

2 parts navy rum, 1 part witch hazel, bay leaves (I know the West Indian tree is a different species), rosemary, spearmint, lemon balm and tarragon left to stew for a few weeks, sieve it and well see what comes out the other end!

Anyone else had a go at home brew aftershave and if so how did it go?

As I understand it, Urban Hermit is a bit of an expert on Home Brew preparations! But unless you are prepared to use lashings and lashings of cool, or better still-cold, clear water, throughout your shave, you probably wouldn't get the same result that Urban gets with his own stuff! ;)

spandexcodpiece said:
As I understand it, Urban Hermit is a bit of an expert on Home Brew preparations! But unless you are prepared to use lashings and lashings of cool, or better still-cold, clear water, throughout your shave, you probably wouldn't get the same result that Urban gets with his own stuff! ;)

What can I say, spandex? I get into enough hot water without needing to shave with it all the time!

• ... and definitely not an expert! ... just a guy mixing up stuff that sometimes works well, for his own purposes. [/list:u]

Filtered and decanted a small amount then placed fresh herbs in to the remaining liquid.

Also added some glycerine to the mix. So far fragrance is pleasant but I suspect short lived. I'll try it on a day off 1st as I suspect that it does smell a bit boozy not great for an early morning meeting but I'll see.

So far the mix is

Liquid
  1. Dark rum
  2. Vodka
  3. Witch Hazel
  4. Glycerine
Fresh herbs
  1. Bay laurel
  2. Rosemary
  3. Spearmint
  4. Lemon Balm
Dried herbs