Homage To Brylcream

I will admit to having used it in the past. Love the smell....but if you ever try it.....don't walk too close to a naked flame!

It was greasy and had an unforgettable smell. Once in awhile when I am in a store that sells the ancient Vitalis hair tonic still being made I will whiff it to bring back memories. Brylcreem is like that as well. Neither one is worth a damn for holding hair in place however.

Nope, never liked the stuff and I did try it. Bought it in Semi-Chem years ago, slapped a wee drop on then binned it and washed my hair. Manky gowp. I’ve a braw heid o’ hair and my Faither’s ain’t too bad for 75 so nae buzz cuts here. I’ve got it so I’m gonna flaunt it - L’Oréal baby!

One of my first TOBS creams was Mr Taylors. As soon as I opened it the scent instantly transported me back in time to my local barbers when I was a wee boy but I couldn’t work out what it was that made such a strong connection with me. Then one day it hit me … Brylcreem ! My Grandpa wore it all the time as did many men of his generation and the smell of Brylcreem was always very evident in my local barbers for years when I was growing up. YMMV but I get that old school Brylcreem scent from Mr Taylors and it's always a happy trip down memory lane when I use it so this PAA soap might have to go on the wish list ................................. and I thought my spending was done for a while !?

I never used the original Brylcreem on my hair but the scent evokes some happy memories.

I remember when I used to go to the barbers as a kid for haircuts and they used to ask you if you wanted "friction and water". What was that all about? My dad was a physics boff so I remember saying to the barber "you can't put friction in a bottle" and him dodging the reply and saying something to my mum about me being a young smart arse! Still don't know what it was, and once the punk girl with the massive chest stopped working at the barbers and there was only the old Italian guy that used to rattle on about AC Milan until it was time to ask if we needed 'something for the weekend', I bought a pair of clippers and that was the last haircut I paid for.

Back
Top Bottom