Highland Soap Co. Juniper Shaving soap : a review

Whilst touring Scotland recently (staycationing) I popped in the the Highland Soap Co. shop in Oban. There I bought their Juniper (& lime) shave soap. Having used it for a couple of weeks (6 shaves, Rockwell 6C (setting 3 or 4), Nacet blade.) I am left with a conundrum.
The pros :
Amazing face feel post shave (best ever for me);
Good scent;
A hard soap, which will last a long time;
A really good close shave every time.
Great vegetal ingredients;
Lathers easily.

The cons:
Lather does not last (needs reapplication for each side of the face, for each pass (3))
Very poor slickness and very little (none) residual slickness;

The cons are really significant but, even given those, I return to it time and again because of the positives, particularly the face feel.

Has anyone else tried it?

Interesting to hear of a new (to me) Scottish soap company. I had a look at the soap you mentioned and their website's blurb on the Juniper is in line with your findings:

"The natural oils used in this traditionally handmade shaving soap have been carefully chosen for their superior moisturising qualities. The combination of Olive Oil, Shea Butter and Cocoa Butter produce a creamy skin-soothing low lather, not a long-lasting frothy foam. So if you're after a highly 'foaming' soap, our natural shaving soap may not be for you!"

Checking out their other products, shaving soaps don't seem to be an important focus for them, which is a shame, as they seem to have some interesting scents available, including bog myrtle and Hebridean Seaweed.

Whilst touring Scotland recently (staycationing) I popped in the the Highland Soap Co. shop in Oban. There I bought their Juniper (& lime) shave soap. Having used it for a couple of weeks (6 shaves, Rockwell 6C (setting 3 or 4), Nacet blade.) I am left with a conundrum.
The pros :
Amazing face feel post shave (best ever for me);
Good scent;
A hard soap, which will last a long time;
A really good close shave every time.
Great vegetal ingredients;
Lathers easily.

The cons:
Lather does not last (needs reapplication for each side of the face, for each pass (3))
Very poor slickness and very little (none) residual slickness;

The cons are really significant but, even given those, I return to it time and again because of the positives, particularly the face feel.

Has anyone else tried it?
Good honest review, I have not tried the soap or anything else from this company and based on your review I don't think I will be rushing to buy some,....the reason being I have so many soaps and for me to get excited enough to add more soap to my soap mountain it really needs to score high on everything and have no cons whatsoever but thank you for taking the time to review the soap.
At least you have a memento of your trip and as you say, the soap has some good things going for it.

Paul.

Back
Top Bottom