HELP!! Merkur Progress/Mergress 'C Ring'

During a routine cleaning of my Mergress, I have managed to break a part which I believe is known as a 'C-Ring' (it's the part indicated in the image below). I have 'borrowed' the picture from a gentleman on the 'Paste & Cut' site.

Part.jpg

I think the purpose of this part is to keep the knob mechanism from falling away from the body of the razor when unscrewed, and think I will still be able to use the razor without it, but it is inconvenient having the whole thing fall apart every time I use it.

Can you help me? Do you happen to have such a part, of the right size, lying around in your shed? I'll very happily pay for it, and cover any P&P involved.

Failing that, do you know where I might get my hands on one? I'd rather just by one or two, rather than a whole box.

Any assistance very gratefully received!! Thanks gents!

During a routine cleaning of my Mergress, I have managed to break a part which I believe is known as a 'C-Ring' (it's the part indicated in the image below). I have 'borrowed' the picture from a gentleman on the 'Paste & Cut' site.

View attachment 107023

I think the purpose of this part is to keep the knob mechanism from falling away from the body of the razor when unscrewed, and think I will still be able to use the razor without it, but it is inconvenient having the whole thing fall apart every time I use it.

Can you help me? Do you happen to have such a part, of the right size, lying around in your shed? I'll very happily pay for it, and cover any P&P involved.

Failing that, do you know where I might get my hands on one? I'd rather just by one or two, rather than a whole box.

Any assistance very gratefully received!! Thanks gents!

If no one has a replacement expansion ring, I found Merkur Germany Customer Services ok; I received a new top cap for my 34C (new 34C's no longer have a central post made of brass) relatively quickly. Person I dealt with was Laudia Wolter (k.wolter@merkur-razors.com). Merkur's general email is info@merkur-razors.com. Merkur US also stocks spare expansion rings.

Last edited:
If no one has the part, I found Merkur Germany Customer Services ok; I received a new top cap for my 34C (new 34C's no longer have a central post made of brass) relatively quickly. Person I dealt with was Laudia Wolter (k.wolter@merkur-razors.com). Merkur's general email is info@merkur-razors.com. Merkur US also stocks spare expansion rings.
Thanks Missoni! Is that what the part is called? An 'expansion ring'...?

If no one has a replacement expansion ring, I found Merkur Germany Customer Services ok; I received a new top cap for my 34C (new 34C's no longer have a central post made of brass) relatively quickly. Person I dealt with was Laudia Wolter (k.wolter@merkur-razors.com). Merkur's general email is info@merkur-razors.com. Merkur US also stocks spare expansion rings.
Have sent a request to Merkur direct. Here's hoping!

Well those are very freundlichen Grüßen! Legend!

Pound to a penny that eBay seller needed one, got sent a handful and is scalping people for his spares. Props to Missoni and Herr Wiethoff!
That seller actually habitually sells bits and pieces at relatively high prices, and sometimes used razors for the same price as new onces from established vendors. There are two or three other sellers that I've seen do the same.

And a few days later....

Merkur 2.jpg

Delivered in robust cardboard packaging, at zero cost to me.

The customs papers cite the value of the parts as .50 Euros each (2.00 Euros in total), so, I say again, what's with this vendor now selling them at £19.99 a pop? At the start of this thread, about a week ago, he had them on sale at £14.99 each. So for some reason they've gone up a fiver in a matter of days???

Many thanks to Ulrich Wiethoff at Merkur, and @Missoni for pointing me in their direction!

Last edited:
And a few days later....

View attachment 107481

Delivered in robust cardboard packaging, at zero cost to me.

The customs papers cite the value of the parts as .50 Euros each (2.00 Euros in total), so, I say again, what's with this vendor selling them at £14.99 a pop?

Many thanks to Ulrich Wiethoff at Merkur, and @Missoni for pointing me in their direction!

Companies with service like this get my return business every time.

A few others who I have had similar experiences with are:

Zippo
Victorinox
Loake
Rolex

Companies with service like this get my return business every time.

A few others who I have had similar experiences with are:

Zippo
Victorinox
Loake
Rolex
Good service is a great investment. People do talk about it, and satisfied customers become walking advertisements for the company. For example, I already feel more favourable towards the companies you mention, having read your remarks.

Last edited:
Whilst on the subject of Mergress razors, I’ve replaced the C ring in my Mergress, but the adjustment knob runs loose, that is it isn’t as tight as the Progress adjustment knob & it’s not uncommon for it to move from 2 to 5 without my knowing. Any ideas on a fix?

Whilst on the subject of Mergress razors, I’ve replaced the C ring in my Mergress, but the adjustment knob runs loose, that is it isn’t as tight as the Progress adjustment knob & it’s not uncommon for it to move from 2 to 5 without my knowing. Any ideas on a fix?
The function of the C ring in the Mergress (and other razors) is simply to stop the base part dropping out of the body of the razor when the thread is not engaged, so far as I understand. I can't see how it could affect the tightness of the adjustment knob. I, too, would be interested to hear others' opinions on this.

If I remember correctly how does a Progress work, the 'tightness' comes basically from the spring inside the handle pushing the middle part of the baseplate 'away' from the knob. When the top cap is removed, you can try to push the baseplate 'in': it should be rather tight but still possible. The knob is doing exactly the same thing, except by pulling the top cap towards it, overcoming the spring.
If this is too loose, then there's some problem with the spring; maybe it's not seated properly. I don't know how to fix this: it's inside the handle and as far as I know it's not designed to be taken apart.
(Happy to be corrected about this...)
Edit: forgot to say: the C ring has indeed nothing to do with the actual mechanism, just as @factormax said.

Back
Top Bottom