Help me pick a new watch Christopher Ward?

My 25 year old Omega Seamaster has finally give in. Jewellers want £350 to service this time and it needs a new glass and strap so more than £500 in total. Not sure it's worth it at the moment

So I need a new watch and fancy an automatic sub £500. Looking at the threads on here quite a few CW fans and they look good but what are your recommendations in this price bracket for an everyday watch

Thanks

Mark

its sort of a sad occasion and also an excuse to buy a replacement when that happens - I recently had the same issue with an Oris I've had for many years which they wanted over £500 to repair but it was all internals that were shot, it looked fine from the outside and its waiting for a donor watch to become available now.

Strangely I replaced it with....an Omega Seamaster! Christopher Wards do look nice though.

Sorry to hear about the Omega. Beautiful watches but not cheap to replace. I have a Christopher Ward C5 automatic, which I love. I can wholeheartedly endorse their after sales care - it turned out that I'd had a faulty mechanism from new and they replaced it at absolutely no cost (including postage) three years down the line. I would hasten to add that the delay was entirely down to me losing track of things during a house move and not a reflection on them.

However, coming from an Omega, you might not be so enamoured with the timekeeping on my model. It gains perhaps a second a week whereas I would expect you're used to immaculate timekeeping. If that is the case, I recommend you pay a little bit over your budget for one of the Models with the modified ETA 7750 movements. I have heard excellent things about their accuracy, plus the case designs tend to be more individual. I love the C9 Harrison chrono and the C700 rapide.

Hope that helps!

Jewelers in my part of the US usually don't do any of their own repairs. The last time I had my Rolex serviced I found an individual who was an independent watch repair man. Used all Rolex parts but 1/2 the price. You might want to check around.

ChopperHarris said:
However, coming from an Omega, you might not be so enamoured with the timekeeping on my model. It gains perhaps a second a week whereas I would expect you're used to immaculate timekeeping.

Gaining a second per week is fantastic timekeeping for an automatic, unless your'e talking quartz.

Looking now at the C40 Speedhalk with the movement Chopperharris suggested anyone got one to give me some feedback

I still have to get my head round the timekeeping after all these years of perfect time and trade ths off the advantage of losing the battery

Mark

I have several christopher wards and would say generally they are superb value for well made automatics.

The C40 is the best value, as it gives you a 7750 based automatic chronograph for reasonable money. But I've always had a soft spot for the C60's in either standard form or GMT form. They both contain excellent movements, are great looking and represent good value.

mand said:
ChopperHarris said:
However, coming from an Omega, you might not be so enamoured with the timekeeping on my model. It gains perhaps a second a week whereas I would expect you're used to immaculate timekeeping.

Gaining a second per week is fantastic timekeeping for an automatic, unless your'e talking quartz.

Nope - I think I was typing more quickly than I was thinking. I only got both time periods wrong - it's a minute a month!

even a minute a week is well well within acceptability +/- 15 seconds a day is within standards for a non modified movement. most of my CW's are within 5 seconds a day, and my Hamilton is within 2 seconds!

shrink said:
even a minute a week is well well within acceptability +/- 15 seconds a day is within standards for a non modified movement. most of my CW's are within 5 seconds a day, and my Hamilton is within 2 seconds!

Absolutely - I've had a few and am perfectly happy with the time this one keeps. However, a mate with an Omega automatic swears his is virtually perfect in timekeeping - hence the original warning. If you're used to something that does gain a second a month, going to something that ends up being 4 minutes out in the same time period might be a slight let down.

For the same money as Christopher Ward I would personally have a look at Steinhart (try Chronomaster.co.uk) or other smaller manufacturers such as Stowa, but firstly contact Watchworks in Bristol (www.watchworks.co.uk) and get them to quote for your Omega. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Back
Top Bottom