Help me choose a brush as a gift

I have some Floris soap in a nice wooden bowl which I am planning to give to my Spanish brother-in-law for Xmas. Now I need an affordable (but smart looking) brush to go with it. The Edwin Jagger brushes, in my opinion, look very good and are not too expensive, but are too floppy. My Omega 49 boar is fantastic and good value but the handle is a bit cheap looking for a present. As I am about to place a large order with Paul at Connaught, I was thinking of a Vulfix. Do the handles actually look any good (It's hard to tell from the photos)? Any particular recommendations? Paul doesn't stock the boar / badger mixes, I don't think. I also don't really like the fake 3 band stripe in the Vulfix boars. Does the dye fade over time? Does it look OK? Of course, there is the Semogue 1305 which looks very good in the photos, but then I would have to place a separate order with Leon (P&P charges and risk of buying one for myself!), it still has the fake 3-band stripe and the handle is a but fragile (but clearly looks gorgeous).

Oh decisions decisions ... sorry for rambling ..

I would happily spend £10-20. English would be best, so I guess Vulfix makes sense. I just don't like the look (at least from the photos) of the fake 3 band badger hair (what's wrong with the look of boar anyway?), and I cannot tell how good the handles are from the photos.

Also, I only have experience of the Omega 49. I have no idea if the Vulfix boar brushes are as good.

Thanks all.

I know Paul doesn't stock these because of badger hair content but I think you'll be pleased this rare hidden gem and handsome looking brush belying the cost...Vulfix 404 mix from Diamond Edge for about a tenner.

Rubbish picture, great price and fine with either soap's or creams.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.diamondedgeltd.com/acatalog/Razors__Shaving_Brushes.html">http://www.diamondedgeltd.com/acatalog/ ... ushes.html</a><!-- m -->

that's the one to get ;)

handle is a polished fake ivory, some of the cheaper Vulfix models have an injection molded handle and do look a bit naff in comparisson.

can't comment on the Kent's

Just asked Diamond Edge to include the 404 ... with my upcoming 2-band order .... :shock:

Thanks v much for your input guys. The only problem with ordering a brush as a gift though is that you get lots of new ideas for yourself too! The Vulfix Golden nib combo looks v interesting and the Kents look really classy (I already have some of their hair brushes and they are top quality, look beautiful and are very fairly priced).

Hmmm ... must exercise self control ..

errrr ... chubby 2 :oops: (actually ordered prior to this thread ... of course depends if they get more in). Tony - I blame you for this anyway, as you wrote such a bl@@dy convincing write up a while ago!

Back
Top Bottom