Hello to you all.

Hello everyone.

Like so many others I got fed up paying lots of money for a barely adequate shave that was so uncomfortable that I'd shave on a Monday morning and not bother again until the next Monday!

I had been using the usual gels in a can, which combined with an ancient Boots synthetic brush actually produced a half decent lather but the only way to get a truly 'close-ish' shave was to go AGT with a cartridge with the inevitable rash and irritation.

I improved on that by ditching the gel and going with an Erasmic stick (all of 49p from Home Bargains). I think working up a lather on the face over a couple of minutes helped soften the skin and lift the bristles more than just the few seconds it took to lather a gel and I actually got better shaves with less rash, even with the cartridge.

I watched a couple of Mantic's videos and decided that I would spend a little more. I got a Wilkinson Sword Classic with 5 blades for under a fiver on Amazon. What a revelation! I could do multiple passes, get a much closer shave and not have any burn at all.

Fast forward a couple of months and I've now invested in a Merkur 34c and a Parker 99r. I'm using a mix of Merkur, Wilkinson and Feather blades (the latter not nearly as fearsome as I thought) and I'm awaiting some Personna Med Preps. I've got creams by Proraso, Palmolive and Erasmic and I've just bought one of Fido's brushes, a 2213; the difference between that and my old Boots synthetic is like that between a good Stilton and the 'cheese food' slices that lurk on the top of a burger.

I'm probably not (no, I'm definitely not!) saving any money but shaving is no longer a chore, in fact it injects a little luxurious me time into every morning. A hot flannel, work up a lather on the face, a 4 pass shave and I'm ready to go. BBS and no rashes, bumps or irritation. The occasional nick but that's easily sorted with a styptic pencil.

A hobby to indulge in every day.

Welcome aboard. This is really a good place to come to to save money! You'll learn what to buy and what not to buy, by just reading from experiences.

Hello and welcome to TSR :icon_smile:.

I have some of the personna med prep blades, they are one of my favourites, smooth and sharp!

Cheers,

Gordon

Hi and welcome to TSR! Yes, it's cheaper with DE:s, but with a straight you'll never have to buy another razor blade... think about it! No more razor blades ...

Yes ... but no more razor blades I'm just trying to "save" our new mate some money :icon_lol: