Hello from Hungerford

Hello,

My name is Robert Johnston and along with my wife Charlotte own The Gentleman's Shop in Hungerford.

I have been a Barber for over 26 years now and started in an age when it was fashionable to have your haircut in a ladies salon and guys had too much facial hair! I started my first Barber Shop in Hungeford way back in 1988 when I cut hair on my own. The business expanded and we moved to larger premises in 1996 which meant we had space to sell a few shaving products etc in a corner of the Barber's. We were amazed at how popular these items were, so in 1997 Charlotte opened a dedicated shop next door, the first TGS! Many of our earlier customers were visitors from overseas whi wished to purchsae when back in their own country, "did we have a website?". We didn't have a computer let alone one of those...

So in 1999 we bought a computer and the book "Windows 98 for dummies", built a website and stood back, it was like lighting the touchpaper on a firework. Suddenly we could reach out to a worldwide audience and were only limited by the amount of stock we could physically hold. In 2002 we were able to purchase Charnham House, a grade two listed building dating way back to 1520. This meant that the Barber Shop, Retail Shop and Website are all intergrated within the same location and is now the workplace of 6 barbers and two retail executives.

Part of our success is the wave of interest that guys now have in traditional grooming products and generally looking after themselves. A great haircut and a quality shave are essentials not luxuries.

I promise not to use this forum as a shameless plug for my own business, but it is great to share some of the passion I have for my proffession with like minded individuals.

All the best, Robert

Welcome Robert

shameless plugs will be accepted providing you grease boab's palm ;)

having purchased from you in the past i can say it was a pleasure doing business with you :D

Hi Robert and welcome, out of interest how did you find this site? Now it is starting to gain momentum I am curious to how new members are getting here.

cheers.

Hello Boab,

The daily round up where visitors have been coming from to visit our website brought your great forum in at #40!

Nice to see some action this side of the pond, at last....

Regards, Robert

Welcome to The Shaving Room!

I'm sure you'll be an invaluable addition.

How did you get here? Sounds like a "sticky" thread Boab

Robert_Johnston said:
Hello Boab,

The daily round up where visitors have been coming from to visit our website brought your great forum in at #40!

Regards, Robert

Excellent, good to see we are being noticed!!

Robert_Johnston said:

I reckon quite a lot of people here have been regular customers of yours for a few years now Robert :D

Welcome.

Hi Robert,

A very warm welcome, you sold my wife my first DE as a christmas present a few years ago and I have purchased from your site a few times sonce then. You are a first class retailer and it is nice to be able to thank the person(s) behind it.

antdad said:
Welcome and plug away...I'm glad there is a more relaxed attitude towards vendors here. Pray tell how you found us.

Hello,

I found this site whilst checking our daily site logs.

Yesterday the number of visitors from your great site increased from #40 to #31 in the list of the top 500 traffic sources!

All the best, Robert

Back
Top Bottom