Hello from Brighton

Welcome :)

The Independent list could have been better. I'm not really getting any plan or purpose from the choices made, or even the information I need to make my own decisions.

First thing I'd want to know is how aggressive a razor is. More aggressive razors can get the job done quicker but they're much more likely to cut you if you're not careful. Mild is much easier to use so that's the best choice when you're starting out. Lots of experienced DE shavers use mild razors too. They'll still get you to BBS with a 3-pass shave.

OP
Stanno
Welcome :)

The Independent list could have been better. I'm not really getting any plan or purpose from the choices made, or even the information I need to make my own decisions.

First thing I'd want to know is how aggressive a razor is. More aggressive razors can get the job done quicker but they're much more likely to cut you if you're not careful. Mild is much easier to use so that's the best choice when you're starting out. Lots of experienced DE shavers use mild razors too. They'll still get you to BBS with a 3-pass shave.

That's interesting. I had a similar situation with a coffee machine: buying one recommended by Which only to find an online forum that made me think I should have got something different.

I'm sure this safety razor will do me fine for a while. From what little I could find about it, I think it's quite mild which will suit me as a beginner.

Blademonkey

Supporter
Supporter
That's interesting. I had a similar situation with a coffee machine: buying one recommended by Which only to find an online forum that made me think I should have got something different.

I'm sure this safety razor will do me fine for a while. From what little I could find about it, I think it's quite mild which will suit me as a beginner.
I've been shaving with DE and other razors for some time now and have used mild razors to ones that wouldn't be considered mild by any stretch of the imagination and have come to the conclusion that for me mild razors with the right blade will give me as good a shave as the others, so don't feel you need to buy let's say more assertive razors to get a better shave. If you are getting good shaves from a mild razor it may be all you need but then again half the fun I've had was by trying everything so you carry on and have fun on your shaving journey! :)

Paul.

Last edited:

Almost all DE's should at least be "good" - particularly if you're listening to the chatter on a shaving forum which will automatically filter out any bad ones.

I think the differences are more about fine-tuning, as a rule. Once you get more of a feel for it you'll figure out your own preferences.

Hi & Welcome.

If you don't get on with the bamboo handle then treat yourself to the King C Gillette 3 piece you can pick up in morrisons or online somewhere.
It's around £15 or under when on offer. And for the price is an exceptional razor.

Hope your shaves go well.
Agree

OP
Stanno
Welcome to TSR .
The Bambaw razor looks like a DE89 clone so should shave well with good technique. It is similar to the King C Gillette with a different handle. The Astra SP blades are a good combination with that razor.

That's good to hear and know. Thank you. I definitely feel like my technique is improving.

I am face lathering and doing a 3 pass shave. With my recent shaves, I have very little irritation and, thankfully, am rarely getting any nicks. Not super close but probably a fair bit better than the shave I was getting with cartridge razors, and I'm really enjoying it.

My wife even said to me this morning, “Oh you're not bleeding...” so I must be improving! :ROFLMAO:

Top Bottom