Hello all!

Hi all!

Like many people I'm sure, I have previously been using the "Bed and Breakfast" forums, which are very good I think, but too USA centered.

I am looking forward to participating in swaps, buying second hand products et, and discussing various aspects of wet shaving.

Eg, I plan to participate in Decemboar this year, and in addition to sharing with my Anbbas Badger, I have been doing test lathers on alternate boars. Hoping to soften them sufficiently for December. (I hate scratchy brushes)

Once I have been here a while, I think it may be interesting to start a "discontinued soaps" pass around.

I have been lucky with second hand sellers in the past, and don't want to feel like I am "hogging" any classics.

Happy shaving every one!

Welcome. I reckon you'll be right in here. C of G here is UK but we welcome all and have people from all over, inclusive of the USA. But for swapsies, yeah if you're over here it makes it all a bit more doable when there's no international shipping to contend with. Although folk have been known to take the trouble gladly, it must be said. This is a lovely corner of the Internet.

Hello and welcome to TSR!

A discontinued soap pass around sounds wonderful , I do have a soft spot for such soaps!
Which ones have you got?

Paul.
Thanks Paul!

well, some are easier to get hold of than others.

There is still a reasonable ammount of Tallow Tabac around, and I recently did an ebay order of Speick with the old style packaging. So fingers crossed it is the old one, not a new one with an out of date listing . But if it is the newer Speick, I can live with that, I love the Speick Stick.

my discontinued is mostly sticks, as I love sticks. Tallow Tabac, Boots shave stick, Palmolive, Wilkinson sword stick. A possible Speick Tabac

I actually got an Erasmic Stick from ebay. The listing was some kind of "shaving gift set", which came with a Weishi butterfly razor (I havn't tried it yet, I am still working out which DE blade is best in my KCG) and a slightly scratchy badger brush. I don't know if there is any market / appetite for slightly scratcy badger brushes, but if there is i will look into trading it away.

I got a williams mug soap before the prices on ebay went daft, and in theory there is a Boots shaving bowl on route.

Items I would like to add to the discontinued pass arround, but most likely won't be able to:
1, valobra - can't be found on ebay for love nor money (except an ancient one, which i don't like the idea of using for some reason)
2, Irisch moos - same, can't be found on ebay.
3, Colgate mug soap - There is a listing in america for 12 of them. But I can't afford to buy 12, and the shipping. Divided by 12, the colgate mug soap would be ~£12 each, which is better, so i would have to work out how the group buy forum works to get that sorted.

I am not sure how the pass arround works, but it would be good if the initial recipiants were able to contribute to it in some way.

We'll done for securing a William's mug soap, I like Valobra shave soap in both stick and puck/cake and quite a few others, a lot of the discontinued soaps were / are very good indeed.

Paul.

my discontinued is mostly sticks, as I love sticks. Tallow Tabac, Boots shave stick, Palmolive, Wilkinson sword stick. A possible Speick Tabac

It seems we have similar tastes in shaving soaps. Just over a year or so ago, all the German tallow shaving sticks were reasonably cheap and really easy to get hold off, now the humble Palmolive stick is sometimes over £20 on ebay! AFAIK, the only tallow shaving sticks are the last two Turkish made ones of Arko and Derby (there used to a lot more a few years like Camelot, I regret not getting them when they were on eBay) and DR Harris.

I'm going to participate in Decemboar as well. I've got a few new boar brushes I'm thinking of breaking in, or I might just use a few different well broken in boars.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy it here.

Thanks!

I think I my attempts to break in my small omega boar brush have gone to far, because now it struggles to load soap.
Although I have only tried it on my wilkinson sword blue bowl so far. It may become a cream only brush if that is the case.