Head Shaving

Do any of you shave your head using traditional wet shaving?

I am very interested in the the care taken and the 'kit' that is used in traditional wet shaving that you are all into here, however, personally I barely shave my beard but shave my head once every 3 days. At the moment I actually use a Wahl hair clipper which brings my hair right down almost to the level of a razor, but I would like to find the best method of fully shaving my head to the skin constantly. Up to yet I have just tried a Gillette Mach 3 on the odd occasion and it does a good job. Obviously from having a read over some of the key threads in the forum I can see that good kit used in a traditional shave will do a better job, but is it the same case for shaving my own head?

Any tips on what to buy would be much appreciated, I am looking for a good razor and the best possible lathering/ lubrication. The best I can think of otherwise is Gillette proglide razors, and good natural creams to take care of my skin.

Welcome to TSR and enjoy your adventure :mrgreen:

If you are interested in getting into DE razors: try a Gillette Superspeed and a good stiff blade like a Gillette Extra Bleue Blade..cheap and the blade wont flex like most of the other ones..unless you wanna try a "sample" pack of DE blades and go from there
:shave

Blades

Thank you.

Just from a quick browse and viewing those two recommendations, it looks like exactly the type of thing I would like to start out with. I am hoping to get some input from fellow head shavers in particular. Is there more chance of cuts with de razors rather than say standard gillette blades e.g. fusion/ proglide? I have absolutely no doubt that they are better for face shaving, I love the idea of it but I am very cautious about cutting my head.

You should PM him and ask him what he wishes to do..most newbies aernt ready to spend at least $100 on all the gear for a straight razor..plus you need 2 razors

B

Keep in mind that a large part of head shaving requires flying blind with the razor and that nicks on your scalp are a potentially greater cosmetic inconvenience than they are on your face. For sure, DEs and straights can give closer shaves than cartridges do and many people use them without difficulty over their entire noggins. The flexible head of a cartridge is, nonetheless, a significant convenience to the neophyte headshaver and many of us who wouldn't dream of using them on our faces still use nothing else on our scalps. As long as you're testing your way through the common headshaving tools and techniques, you really should pick up a HeadBlade. They can use both Atra and Sensor cartridges and really do have an ergonomic edge (sorry, couldn't help it) over the conventional handle alternatives.

I think going from a set of clippers to shaving blind with a DE is potentially a recipe for nicks and cuts. If you're looking for the traditional experience I'd be tempted to start out with the same prep as we all do, i.e. warming the skin, applying a nice shaving soap with a brush etc. But then I'd be tempted to go with either a cartridge or go one up and buy a head blade sport. These are little wheeled razors that you slot onto your finger and then "comb" over your scalp... virtually impossible to cut yourself with. They are very popular with members of the US military who prefer the smooth head.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.headblade.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=HB&Product_Code=50300-4&Category_Code=headcare" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.headblade.com/Merchant2/merc ... e=headcare</a><!-- m -->

Have a word with JoeMclaine above, shame he's edited his post as he loves a smooth noggin. He uses a Gillette Proglide.

Edit: My apologies to the new poster above, I didn't read his post fully and so my recommendation of the headblade is a bit late.

Back
Top Bottom