Have I just bought "English Swedes"?

I've just won these on eBay:

[attachment=0]

I managed to get them cheap - the postage is the biggest part of the layout - so I thought they were worth the risk.

I've read about (but never used) the discontinued Gillette "Swedes" that so many people were/are fans of. These look as though they might be NOS Swedes but the packet clearly says "Made in England" along the top. I've not read anywhere about Swedes being made in England. Does anybody know if these really are Swedes and, if so, are English Swedes (the Ulrika Jonsson of the DE world) up to standard?

Attachments

• English Gillette Platinum.JPG
    360 bytes · Views: 211
I wondered if my rival bidder might pop up here! If you like, PM me your address and I'll send you a couple of packs once they arrive.

Don't thank me yet; I have no idea whether these are any good or not! Hopefully some of the other members here can enlighten us.

According to this 1991 report double edge blades were only being made in France, so I would guess that UK double edge production stopped sometime in the 1980s. The French plant at Annecy closed just over a year later and double edge production moved elsewhere, probably to Germany or Eastern Europe?

The whole report can be viewed here

Swedes always used to smell of oil (light machine oil, "3-in-1" stuff).

I guess it was an anti-oxidant protective coating?

Back
Top Bottom