Has Valobra shaving soap permanently gone no longer in production?

I was wondering the same thing recently, in form of the following question:

Has Proraso got the formulae for the magical tallow soap(s) that Valobra made?
One would perhaps assume that this is where the real money is, so potentially acquiring Valobra without any access on the knowledge of making these superb soaps would be meaningless.

And assuming that ok, Proraso did get everything, the next question comes along:
What are they doing about it?

Because it is highly probable that instead of treasuring these Valobra recipes and leave them untouched, simply re-releasing them (rebranded) in the market, they may instead either mess with them or use them to 'improve' their existing soap formulae...

And as we have seen, the first small step was achieved, the 'Super Formula' was introduced in their basic series of shaving soaps and creams.
Was know-how from the Valobra recipes used to achieve this?

And what else is to follow?
What about the traditional tallow Valobra (and AoS/C&S branded) products?
What is the position of the Proraso co. management/ownership on the use of tallow-based soaps?
How about the bath/hand Valobra soaps?

A user who speaks Italian from B&B forum has already sent an email to Proraso in Italy to find out what's going on about Valobra shaving soaps.

Send the Godfather.

QtTtNky.gif

What is the position of the Proraso co. management/ownership on the use of tallow-based soaps?
How about the bath/hand Valobra soaps?

AFAIK, the owner of Valobra is an old guy who at the end of his working life didn't have any family to pass his business onto so sold the line to Proraso. They closed the Valobra factory to 'reorganise' their lines or something last year and I think there was a plan to reopen it for late 2019, but were running late then the Covid bomb hit.

As for Valobra returning, there seems to be very little information regarding their status. However, the Valobra website is still online and it's been a few years since that particular factory last made any soap so there still may be an inclination to relaunch the brand.

Whether they return and whether they reformulate the product remains to be seen.

I hope Proraso won't change the original formula of Valobra shaving soaps, because, it's nothing wrong with it just leave the original formula alone.

Perhaps they could even make it better. After all, not all reformulations are bad and some are superb.............(cough) Kaizen. :whistle:

Perhaps they could even make it better. After all, not all reformulations are bad and some are superb.............(cough) Kaizen. :whistle:

The new Proraso reformulations are supposed to be superb, on the 'other' forum there are quite a few favourable reviews of the new Proraso White Shaving Soap.

At this moment in time, even a reformulated Valobra would be better than none at all!

AOS was not produced by Valobra for quite a few years..

The original was, the new AOS is not.

I have the Original AOS and the new but in cream, the scent is very different. Performance of valobra furgere and original AOS sandalwood is the same, the soaps have the same colour too.

The formula is fine but the fougere scent is not very good, at least to my nose.

I have the aos sandalwood made by valobra and I love the scent and performance.
I have both the soaps mentioned by @Merkurologist, and agree with his conclusions.
I also have Czech and Speake No 88 and O&C - also Valobra base. I have found with all Valobra base soaps, with the possible exception of AOS Sandalwood, have weak scents. Most disappointing on the C&S soaps, as they are renowned for their high quality fragrances.
However, the performance of all Valobra base variants for me is always top tier.

I spoke to someone when it started to dissapear from my usual suppliers that it was touch and go if it would be back.
I then started using mitchells again - anyone looking for a replacement could go down that route ( be warned though there seems to have been some quality issues recently ) but a “proper” puck is a great alternative.

The original was, the new AOS is not.

I have the Original AOS and the new but in cream, the scent is very different. Performance of valobra furgere and original AOS sandalwood is the same, the soaps have the same colour too.
My post was in reference to N Architect asking what was going to happen to AOS tallow soaps. There are no AOS tallow soaps anymore.

Back
Top Bottom