Hampshire wool fat shaving soap

There's going to be people unfamiliar with The Fast Show looking at this and going "WTF???" :ROFLMAO:
Yes there are. My friends and I still love the Fast Show and regularly shout: BLACK! at each other, after Poor Johnny the painter.

Anyway my soaps have arrived, and now the hunt begins for something suitable to put them in. The scent is very patchouliesque and at this stage there's no hint of the barnyard. I'm looking forward to trying them, probably this weekend.

IMG_20210318_103535-01.jpeg

My first job after A levels and before going to university, was in a delicatessen. We had two huge fridges for all manner of meats and cheeses, so I thoroughly enjoyed a culinary education there. It included trying Patum Peperium which I liked the look of, mostly due to the packaging, but the taste was not to my liking. To this day, I adore white anchovies in oil, but the tiny, darker salty ones, which remind me of PP, I can't eat.

However those PP pots on eBay do look to be an excellent idea, especially as their contents have been consumed. :)

View attachment 66614

Might as well go original. Just won this on eBay.
Proud Of You Yes GIF

Well my PP Jar has arrived super fast from eBay and it's a beautiful thing.

Very sadly I can't say the same for the soap. I did a test lather in the hand, and while I have no criticism of the lather and slickness, I am afraid to say that I cannot abide the scent. I was a bit suspicious on unwrapping it, hence the hand lather. More power to artisan soap producers like Dr. Ratna but the scent really isn't for me.

The over-abiding smell is patchouli, of which I have fond memories of the late 70s and early 80s in Edinburgh's Stockbridge - if you know what I mean - but for me, now, that's where it should have remained. There is also a farmyard smell in there too. :) It wasn't apparent when I received the soaps but it was once the puck was wet.

So I binned the used one, and have carefully wrapped the unused puck and I'll pop that in as a freebie when I put up some bits and pieces in sales corner or is it BST here?

It's such a shame I couldn't get on with it, but not everything is for everyone.

Well my PP Jar has arrived super fast from eBay and it's a beautiful thing.

Very sadly I can't say the same for the soap. I did a test lather in the hand, and while I have no criticism of the lather and slickness, I am afraid to say that I cannot abide the scent. I was a bit suspicious on unwrapping it, hence the hand lather. More power to artisan soap producers like Dr. Ratna but the scent really isn't for me.

The over-abiding smell is patchouli, of which I have fond memories of the late 70s and early 80s in Edinburgh's Stockbridge - if you know what I mean - but for me, now, that's where it should have remained. There is also a farmyard smell in there too. :) It wasn't apparent when I received the soaps but it was once the puck was wet.

So I binned the used one, and have carefully wrapped the unused puck and I'll pop that in as a freebie when I put up some bits and pieces in sales corner or is it BST here?

It's such a shame I couldn't get on with it, but not everything is for everyone.
Sadly I was the same @dkpw - nothing against the performance, but the "funk" was just too strong. Still, look on the bright side. You've found a side-tunnel off the main rabbit hole, and can now while away the hours with online searches for the perfect Patum Peperium ;):ROFLMAO:

As a producer, I'm sure I'd appreciate the feedback. Naturally, in a contructive manner rather than "your soap smells of poo/patchouli". It's always a mystery to the small producer why their potential customer base walks.

I can see what you mean, but for something like this it really is a YMMV issue.

I find the scent to be well-balanced between Cedarwood and Patchouli, but as I write this maybe she had an issue with QC and there was more patchouli in a later batch?

As for the scent of barnyard, it's the best thing about a tallow soap!

Take a deep breath and rejoice.

Mmm, barnyard...

I can see what you mean, but for something like this it really is a YMMV issue.

I find the scent to be well-balanced between Cedarwood and Patchouli, but as I write this maybe she had an issue with QC and there was more patchouli in a later batch?

As for the scent of barnyard, it's the best thing about a tallow soap!

Take a deep breath and rejoice.

Mmm, barnyard...

Yes it's a good point - I may drop her a line. Although I have many soaps which are tallow based none of them have put me off quite like this one. I must say that I didn't detect any cedarwood, although it's not a scent I'm very familiar with, but there was definitely strong patchouli and barnyard.

Back
Top Bottom