Hampshire wool fat shaving soap

The quality of the tallow comes into play here. One U. S. artisan is an ag engineer I believe and sources the best local tallow and refines it further so that although you can still tell it's tallow the smell is greatly diminished.

I can see what you mean, but for something like this it really is a YMMV issue.

I find the scent to be well-balanced between Cedarwood and Patchouli, but as I write this maybe she had an issue with QC and there was more patchouli in a later batch?

As for the scent of barnyard, it's the best thing about a tallow soap!

Take a deep breath and rejoice.

Mmm, barnyard...
Hear hear brother! :)

Paul.

Yes it's a good point - I may drop her a line. Although I have many soaps which are tallow based none of them have put me off quite like this one. I must say that I didn't detect any cedarwood, although it's not a scent I'm very familiar with, but there was definitely strong patchouli and barnyard.

I will get my tub of it out and give it a sniff to see if I can detect the barnyard scent.

Her product was sold in quite small batches, and it seemed the early buyers didn't really have many issues with the scent being strong on patchouli, or the barnyard scent. Maybe she had issues with QC?

Yes it's a good point - I may drop her a line. Although I have many soaps which are tallow based none of them have put me off quite like this one. I must say that I didn't detect any cedarwood, although it's not a scent I'm very familiar with, but there was definitely strong patchouli and barnyard.
Maybe a Dingleberry or two from the sheepskin made it into that batch?

I find the scent of the soap very pleasing

Super! I think we all collectively thought this soap was a good thing and we all pounced on it. It has made for a really fun side-show to the usual big brand "artisan" soaps and she's certainly a soapmaker that I'll keep my eye on. I hope she goes from strength to strength.

For me, no barnyard (but I'm the kind of fellow who loves a lively oudh), but curiously I do get cedar ... and I do get patchouli. It's a strong smell.

Hands down the best soap I’ve tried since I’ve converted from cartridge shaving. My puck took only a few swirls to create the smoothest, softest and most cushioning cream I’ve ever used, (so far, let’s not kid ourselves I’m down the rabbit hole and have 3 more different soaps arriving this week!) It’s not my favourite scent but not unpleasant and the cushioning effect it has while shaving and moisturising after effects more than make up for it! It’s a good 3 hours after shaving this morning and my face still feels soft, and like it’s been kissed by cherubs! If I could have only one soap, I’m going to say I think it would most likely be this! It even tackled the feather blade I was trying for only the third time with ease making me feel like I was using a butter knife on my face rather than one of the sharpest blades there is! I have sensitive skin and it’s the first time I haven’t needed any balm as well. Get it while it’s still relatively unknown and excellently priced!

I’ve been in contact to see if a body balm she uses could be used as a post shave which she doesn’t recommend but did say she was looking to perhaps expand her range in the future and asked about balms I’d used as a yardstick to aim/improve on. She also mentioned a men’s facial soap so hopefully we’ll have a few more excellent and extremely well priced products from Dr Ratna

Last edited:
Received my soap today so tried it tonight, I can smell the patchouli and possibly the cedar and tallow, but I find it quiet pleasant.
I moulded the soft soap into a Rolls Razor Bakelite soap dish, I found it really easy to lather up, using a Il Marchese synthetic, building the lather in a scuttle.
I shaved using a Rolls Imperial No 2 and it was possibly the best shave ever with the Rolls, really smooth and close with no irritation, did three passes and it was a fantastic result, post-shave feel was great with no sting from the alum block!
I think this soap may become one of my 'go to' soaps!
Steve

Received my soap today so tried it tonight, I can smell the patchouli and possibly the cedar and tallow, but I find it quiet pleasant.
I moulded the soft soap into a Rolls Razor Bakelite soap dish, I found it really easy to lather up, using a Il Marchese synthetic, building the lather in a scuttle.
I shaved using a Rolls Imperial No 2 and it was possibly the best shave ever with the Rolls, really smooth and close with no irritation, did three passes and it was a fantastic result, post-shave feel was great with no sting from the alum block!
I think this soap may become one of my 'go to' soaps!
Steve
Enabled…yet again. But at just under £5 including p&p you can’t lose really…

Back
Top Bottom