Hair clippers

Aside from brands, the question I want to ask is how does one go about using clippers to trim one's hair in front of the mirror and not making a huge mess? I found when I'd trim my beard infront of the mirror in the bathroom and even with using newspaper to catch the hairs under the sink the hairs would get everywhere.

Also how to trim the back of one's head?
Best to use two mirrors one at the front, one to the rear. Can also use a nylon hairdresser's cape (easily accessible from Amazon etc) and stand on a large bath sheet, to catch most of the cut hairs, which can then be taken outside and shaken out, either in a waste bin or to the air. I usually wear jogging bottoms and slippers so that the cut hairs do not stick to any skin. The joggers and slippers can also be brushed down onto the towel. Then a quick dust pan and brush and / or hoover to get the rest of the hairs up. All carried out in the bathroom.

My usual barber was on holiday when I last needed a haircut - just shy of 3 weeks ago. A chance walk-in to another barber saw me with the shortest hair I've ever had - like he knew something was coming. I've just bought a barber's comb and wifey will be enlisted to do clippers over comb, having watched a couple of YouTube videos - again and again.

I use 'wahl homepro basic' corded hair clippers from argos every week to give myself a 'No Guard' buzz cut...You will be surprised how easy it is to do, my local turkish barber actually encouraged me to buzz cut my own hair.

Here's the short video i found very practical when i first started to give myself weekly no guard buzz cuts...two years on now!

Once a month i do a full head shave after my weekly buzz cut..My precious "follically challenged" swede has never felt better in years.

Regards. B

Last edited:
That is a very severe cut but does suit some. Does sound like you had a very decent barber though.
I agree it is a severe cut, and isn't for everyone.And yeah your right i had a excellent barber..but he thought just having a "number one" buzz cut didn't justify what i was paying him, which was only £6.00..he only asked for £3.00..he advised me to get a pair of clippers and do it myself..However on my second time i used the clipper i made a mistake, and forgot to put the number one /3mm comb on and used the clippers with 'No Guard' on them!.finding out the difference was only fractional, i now do this every week.

Interesting thread and very appropriate to the times.

Against my better judgement my wife volunteered to cut my hair using a set of Wahl colour coded clippers. Cordless and must have sat in a cupboard for years. I was absolutely made up with the results and she even took the time to feather the top in.

In return I learnt how to dye hair and trim fringes. I managed a big thumbs up.

I can't say this will become the norm but during these times it is nice to have both gained new skills neither of us would ever have dreamed of, or had reason to.

Right, now on to fixing non-functioning toilets

Interesting thread

I had used Wahl Home Pro clippers for years, and was perfectly happy with them. Until - my son showed me his cordless Braun clippers. They're cheap - around £18 and do the same job ( 0 Grade all over)

Having read this thread prompted me to look online at other clippers
I happened upon some YouTube videos featuring Wahl Balding Clippers
They seem to cut closer than any I've seen before
Tempted to pull the trigger

Back
Top Bottom