Guinness Zero

Who's tried it?

I have ...

I've enjoyed alcohol for many years and thankfully have a good taste memory, particularly for fine wines and good single malts, as I've also had a good number of years where I simply have not enjoyed alcohol yet still "had" to drink.

I don't drink now and have not done for a few years, but I do still enjoy a beer and the zero (and very low) alcohol market is getting better and better. Hot day? Cold, frosty Becks 4% would have been my go to, now a refreshing tin of Bavaria 0.0%. I had the pleasure of trying Leffe 0% recently and that really is very good. Hoegaarden, likewise, sweeter than the alcoholic version as it's infused with coridander and orange. But, my drink of choice (when I did) was always a Guinness. Guinness, Guinness, Guinness ... and I was really pleased to find a really good stout from Big Drop called Galactic Milk Stout, which is right up my street palate-wise.

... but I missed Guinness.

Overjoyed to hear they were finally bringing a zero version to the market and last year, they did ... to pull it after two weeks. We've heard nothing since until just a couple of weeks ago when they released it again.

I got a crate in from DryDrinker, properly chilled a few for a the right number of hours and with some trepidation poured one out into the one sole genuine Guinness glass that I still have (purloined from a pub, naturally) ...

It looks like Guinness, it does the cloudy swelling thing (cue: Leftfield Phat Planet and flashbacks of Rutger Hauer) and settles to that lovely black glass of beer with just short of an inch of creamy white head. Sampled properly by drinking off the top half pint in one and settling back with a frothy moustache and a satisfying "ahhhh ..."

... it tastes like Guinness!

My goodness, that ... is ... good! Very good!

If I had one put in front of me I would most likely have drunk it and would not have known the difference. Side by side, I'd be hard pushed. Yes, you can spot a difference if you know and if you were looking for it, but if you pour it out, drink it and enjoy it then it's a Guinness.

... sans alcohol, meaning you can have one for breakfast (as we all know, Guinness and Cornflakes are all you need to live a full and healthy life) and jump in the car without being irresponsible. Those rugby days when folks run out of steam from over-enthusiastically hitting the Guinness too hard early on can take a rest and drop onto the zero for a few pints. It's not just for non-drinkers.

I am very impressed.

Early indication was that it would be stocked in Morrisons and Waitrose (I think), although I spotted a shelf space in Sainsbury yesterday with an introductory price of £4 a pack ... and an empty shelf. I also gather it will be stocked in pubs. I think the intention is a surger can type delivery for pubs.

Who's tried it? How do you find it?

My past experiences with alcohol-free beers have been consistently disappointing.
They are mostly over-hopped. You can cover up many mistakes in a beer by adding more hops.
Even the serious flaw of having no alcohol.
Most of them are like having sex in a canoe - f*****g close to water.
So, after reading Paul's post and spotting some actually available in Sainsbury's, I had to purchase a pack.
I'm sampling one right now and I'm impressed. It needs to be colder (my fault - I couldn't wait).
It pours and settles just like Guinness, it is not totally over-hopped, it has Guinness mouthfeel and tastes almost exactly the same.
I would happily order this in a pub and not feel like I'm being punished for having to drive afterwards and being responsible.
Thanks for drawing this to my attention, Paul.

Can #2 has been in the freezer for 25 minutes. Even better when cold.
Let's hope it's here to stay (unlike the fabulous sugar-free Magnums I found last year, but that's another topic)

Verdict:
(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

It does need to be chilled, as does regular Draughtflow Guinness.

Indeed @riverrun I have horrible memories of crap like Beck's Blue and (shudder) Kaliber from Guinness. The first hot weather after I stopped drinking left me with a "Damn it! I'd throw a Becks down now!" feeling but found Bavaria 0.0% and for a simple cold, frosty one to quench the thirst (and not be "pop") that's also very good. I do agree that many beers are simply over-hopped and many of the stouts are horrific caricatures, but there is most certainly a growing number of beers that I would happily drink even if I did still drink alcohol.

What that section of the market needed was one of the big names to do it well. Beck's failed. Heineken is passable. Iconic Guinness ... what a win!

Back in my bartending days, I once had a regular walk out and get in his car after he'd spent a few hours chugging bottles of Marstons Low C. I followed him out and politely suggested he was in no state to drive, to which he drunkenly retorted "S'alright - alcohol free, innit?!" Yep the dopey git had confused it with Kaliber and and imbibed far less carbs than normal, but plenty of bottles of 4.2% strength beer :oops: :rolleyes:

Kaliber. Ugh. Billy Connolly went down in my estimation after proclaiming it to be "guid lager - ahm telling ye". Liar!
I always used to go with Swan Light, which was the only drinkable low alcohol beer back then. That disappeared and nothing else got close. Glad the Guinnless is working out.

I bought some of these last week as I'm trying to lower my alcohol consumption. It's much nicer than any other alcohol free beer I've tried and very close to a normal can of Guinness in my opinion. I'd happily buy them again especially at Morrisons as they're selling them for £3.50.

The Brewdog alcohol free beers are an absolute abomination in comparison.

I bought some of these last week as I'm trying to lower my alcohol consumption. It's much nicer than any other alcohol free beer I've tried and very close to a normal can of Guinness in my opinion. I'd happily buy them again especially at Morrisons as they're selling them for £3.50.

The Brewdog alcohol free beers are an absolute abomination in comparison.
I must look out for that.....although I havent seen it in my local Morrisons yet

They made Guinness... and they took all the alcohol out...?!?!?!

Get Out Omg GIF by Get Out Movie

I've also been very impressed by Big Drop - they have a good core range (Lager, Pale, IPA, Stout) all of which benefit from a good chilling. Prior to Guinness Zero, their Galactic Milk Stout did the trick for me what with it's cacao bitterness. They do all sorts of seasonal and collaboration beers, too. Tesco used to sell them, as did Holland & Barrett. Looks like Morrisons is a good place to find them now.

I'll mention Leffe Zero again, which I've found in Tesco. I'll also mention Super Bock Zero which is kinda like a Guinness Original (Lite).

There is a LOT of rank stuff out there, though ...

My local Sainsbury seems to have a decent supply of Guinness Zero coming through, so I'm a very happy fellow again.

It's a good thingTM ...

See, it's been said that Guinness is good for you and they did make a marketing thing of it. Later, health fascists decided that even the small amount of alcohol in it negated all the goodness. But now, with the alcohol removed, it's ALL (capitalised, emboldened and underlined) ALL (repeated for good measure) goodness!

Guinness (Zero) & Cornflakes are all you need to live ... healthfully, now ;)

I bought alcohol free beer once and put a shot of vodka in it because that is what drinking is all about. Drinking a few pints and feeling funny, and thinking you are the funniest person in the world, it worked for me.
Seriously though why is non alcoholic beer the same price or thereabouts as proper beer. Fucking rip off.
I brew my own beer I know what it costs for five gallon of beer and I don't get the bulk buy prices. (y)

Back
Top Bottom