Guilty Secrets

Mince and mashed potatoes, mixed together on the plate then spread on thick white bread with butter on the bread. Heaven!!
The Blytheswood Bar - now a poncy restaurant - in Glasgow used to do a roll and mince. The roll stopped the grease running down your arm when eating it. :) - I.

Actually, we call it corned beef. Bully beef, never. I have never ever heard one American use the term "salt beef".
Salt beef is English for this:

salt-beef-pastrami-beigel-sandwich-002.jpg

I think you misread, I believe English Salt Beef is called Corned Beef in the USA. A completely different product from Canned/tinned/packaged Corn Beef in the UK/Commonwealth which is a minced product.

Let me fix that for you:

IMG_0922_thumb.jpg

Bring it on 1932!

Let me fix that for you:

IMG_0922_thumb.jpg

Bring it on 1932!
Ideal if you’re on a low carb diet , does away with the bread , looks minging though

Spam & pea risotto.

Sounds bonkers but is delicious. Great with a nice glass of Pinto Grigio on a warm spring or summer day.

Serves 2

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion finely diced
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
200g risotto rice
1 glass dry white wine
300ml hot chicken stock (1 cube dissolved)
1 small tin spam cut into 1 cm dice
Small tin garden peas
A dozen or so fresh sage leaves, finely chopped
Small knob of butter
Freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Gently fry the onion in the oil for 5 minutes until translucent, but don't brown.
Add the garlic & fry for a minute or so.
Add the rice, stir well, frying for another minute or so.
Pour in the white wine, turn the gas up to medium/high & boil the wine down until it's almost gone. Turn the gas back down a bit.
Add the chicken stock, a ladle at a time, so that the risotto gently simmers, stirring constantly.
After 15 minutes or so, add the spam & the strained peas. Warm through.
Check the rice & season with salt & plenty of freshly ground black pepper. It should still have a little bit of bite.
Add the chopped sage, butter and stir into the now creamy risotto.
The consistency should be fairly wet & sloppy - dry risotto is not particularly pleasant.
Serve up straight away, and add the parmesan.

Last edited:
I mean, you guys should just take this to PMs...
I don't think anyone cares what people call it in different countries.
Because we may as well start the debate about cobs / buns / rolls / barns if we're going down that road :p

I mean, you guys should just take this to PMs...
I don't think anyone cares what people call it in different countries.
Because we may as well start the debate about cobs / buns / rolls / barns if we're going down that road :p
Barms and bread cakes.

Back
Top Bottom