Guilty Secrets

What are your guilty secrets of food?
Mine are Corned Beef - British Bully Beef, not what Americans call Salt Beef. With Dijon or English mustard. This week I had several Corned Beef barms with delicious cornichons. Another guilty secret is Scotch eggs with salad cream...

Growing up I always loved dripping bread. Whenever we had roast beef for Sunday dinner I'd grab the sliced white bread and soak it in the beef fat and congealed blood, couldn't get enough of it :) I live on my own so never bother getting a joint of beef, but I've always been tempted to just so I can fill my face with dripping bread.
I use a few slices of bread or a roll when eating a home made roast to mop up the juices or obviously with Lamb, the mint sauce. In the 70's we regularly ate beef dripping on toast...

In many ways - a guilty food secret is another way of saying childhood comfort food? For me - from my maternal gran - pig's trotters - ham hough in Scotland - served hot or potted ham hough - cold and congealed in a tub. Tripe with onions and potatoes cooked in milk. The Spanish do tripe very well - callos - particularly in Madrid. I regularly cook liver to this day - with onions, bacon and mashed spuds. - I.

Another guilty secret is Scotch eggs with salad cream...
Geoff Norcott suggested I be deported to France after I asked him to adjudicate a long-standing bone of contention between me and my best mate, who both like a fish finger sandwich, but I say mayo whereas Dave says salad cream.

Pizza. Yes, given the choice of a poncy super-artisan mega-authentic pizza involving n'duja and maybe sourdough (hey maybe that makes it non-authentic), or something more accessible, sometimes there's nothing I fancy more than a dirty Hawaiian stuffed crust doughy grease-fest from US Pizza

Last edited:
Growing up I always loved dripping bread. Whenever we had roast beef for Sunday dinner I'd grab the sliced white bread and soak it in the beef fat and congealed blood, couldn't get enough of it :) I live on my own so never bother getting a joint of beef, but I've always been tempted to just so I can fill my face with dripping bread.
You can buy beef dripping, you don't need to cook a joint if beef to enjoy your guilty pleasure of bread and drip, you can't beat a bit of beef dripping on toast! :)

Paul.

Deluxe roast chicken sandwich... made from next day leftovers where I like to use some of the fat drippings in the tray to spread on bread/roll and chicken flesh, pure filth and ten times better than mayo.

Gribenes - if you ever buy chicken pieces like thighs for example they always seem to come with extra skin. Don't chuck but trim and cut into pieces and slowly render in own fat until crispy. Hot, fresh and salted they are arguably better than pork scratchings or use in the above sandwich for extra naughtiness or if you want to be really fancy crush and use as condiment plus you have some schmaltz to do what you want with. No I'm not Jewish but I could be, errr cept for the pork abstinence, circumcision...

There was a club in Hamburg when I was there turn of the millennium that had open barrels of either Schmaltz or beef dripping that you could just help yourself to, as a stomach liner during a session. Probably in St Pauli although I can't remember. My first thought was mmm, followed by how many drunks have had their dirty hands in that barrel. Never actually ate any.

Another guilty pleasure is elephant leg (lamb doner) on chips. Pure filth but on a Friday night after a long week and CBA with proper meal prep, living opposite a chip shop leads to temptation.

Grilled chicken thigh, in a pitta, with Hellmann's mayo and Encona chilli sauce is another favourite.

Back
Top Bottom