Greetings from Essex

Hi all,

I am still learning the intricacies of straight razor shaving with my Dovo "Best Quality" and Dovo strop.

I have also got a cheaper straight razor on which I practice honing using a Naniwa stone.

I use Geo. Trumper Eucris soap and a badger brush.

I have also just bought an Edwin Jagger DE89 double-edge razor with Astra blades. I decided to get this for when I am in a hurry as the Dovo just seems to take so long for me to get a close shave. It's probably my technique which is at fault

The Jagger gets me great results immediately and I am now finding that this is now my favourite. It looks great and gives me a great shave.

Anyway, that's me!

Welcome to the forum and yes the soap you are using not good for straight shaving found that MWF soap worked best for me ive tried loads ...

Welcome aboard!

How's your lather with the Eucris? Super scent, innit? As a soap, it gets a bad rap for being a bear to lather. I live in a soft water area and get a good lather, but there's a bit of voodoo to it. Care to share your method?

Thanks for the welcome guys...

I am in Southend (hence the SS1 in my user name )

Regarding the Trumper's Eucris... I DO love the smell and yes I can see that getting a good lather is an issue at times. Curiously if I use my bristle brush I get a better one than the badger brush. I will persevere until the Eucris is all used up as I love the smell too much, ha ha. I did read that using Trumper's Skin Food under the lather also helps. I tried that once and did improve a bit but my sample of it is nearly all gone now!

It's true that the lather does dissapear quite quickly but it doesn't flake like I found with a Crabtree & Evelyn one i got as a gift once.

Any thoughts on Edwin Jagger soaps?

Ah, Sarfend! I'm not too far away.

However, if you're ever over at Freeport, I suggest you go into the Body Shop outlet and grab a couple of tubs of Macca Root shaving cream. They go for about 8 quid each but if you buy two you get the pair for a little over 11 quid. It's seriously great stuff - give it a try.