Grandad's Gillette flare tip (?)

Hi,
I was very happy to find back my grandad's razor, and put it to use now that I am anointed to the real shaving...
Is it a flare tip? It is marked as made in England. How old could it be?
What would you do with it? Restore it or not? How can it be at least thoroughly cleaned?
As a shaver it's not the best I have but it's so nice to use something with a soul!
Thanks for your input!
Marcello

vintage.jpg

Hi,
I was very happy to find back my grandad's razor, and put it to use now that I am anointed to the real shaving...
Is it a flare tip? It is marked as made in England. How old could it be?
What would you do with it? Restore it or not? How can it be at least thoroughly cleaned?
As a shaver it's not the best I have but it's so nice to use something with a soul!
Thanks for your input!
Marcello

View attachment 74738
Gillette Superspeed Flare Tip. I’m going to guess mid-1950s; but open to correction. Soak in hot water and clean with a soft tooth brush any gunk, soap etc. that’s built up. If you can get hold of a sonic bath, that can bring them up.

What a lovely find!

If that was in my hands, I'd do the following:

Use a large mug and give it a half hour soak in boiled water (boiled and let cool for a couple of minutes) with a good tablespoon of white vinegar and a teaspoon of bicarb. It will froth, so keep it well away from polished wood surfaces like the dining table. Once the frothing has died down, top up with hot water. Soak.

Once out of the water, yes, Peek and an old toothbrush. Without removing the polish residue, squirt some liquid soap on (Fairy or even just liquid hand soap) and give it another scrub and then scrub it clean under running hot water. No Peek? Well, you can use toothpaste in substitution, but it won't be as effective.

It should be gleaming now ...

It'd be nice to bring back some shine and then get it into rotation.

Lovely!

Beautiful! That's a rocket, only made in England.

20210803_223035-jpg.74750

Back
Top Bottom